🥀39🥀

TW: Talks of Self-harm and scars. Talks of abuse

-

"Auntie, we are here!" Hyunjin called, out as he entered the house.

"In the kitchen,"

The three walked further into the house.

"Mom! Uncle Hyunjin!"

Juni jumped up and hugged the two.

"Hey, darlin'," Hyunjin said, patting the girl's head.

"Hi, baby. How are you?" Yeji asked.

"I'm good. I really miss you though. When can I come home?" Juni asked.

"Soon, hopefully," Yeji said

"Juni, you remember my student you met, Felix?" Hyunjin questioned gesturing to Felix, who wave a little.

Juni smiled and waved back, nodding.

"Felix, is going to ask you some questions to determine if you should go on stand, then if he determines that you can, he'll run through some questions that Soyeon and the defence will ask," Yeji explained.

"Wait, wait, should Shuhua not be doing this?" Their aunt asked.

"Auntie, Felix wouldn't be doing it if I didn't trust him," Hyunjin said.

The woman pursed her lips and nodded.

"You guys can sit at the table and start talking," Yeji said softly.

The two nodded and walked over to the table.

"How is school?" Felix asked.

"Great! I haven't made a ton of friends, but I love my classes," she said.

"Yeah? What are you're favourite classes?"

"AP English and AP psychology,"

Felix nodded his eyes catching a glance of the girl's arms, which she must have caught.

"Ah, they're a little weird, I know," she said.

Felix shook his head, "They aren't,"

"Some of the girls at my school don't really agree with that,"

"Hey, I think you are amazing and they show just how difficult your journeys been, but you got through it," Felix said.

"You sound like you are speaking from experience," Juni said.

"Mm, I've been through a few things, but I don't think I could show my scars,"

Juni's brows drew together, "Why not?"

Felix pursed his lips, "I've had some people tell me some not so nice thing about them,"

"Can I see them? Wait- only if you are comfortable with it," she asked

Hesitantly, Felix pulled his sleeve up keeping his hand over a part of his upper forearm.

The scars were littered everywhere, some created large indentations on Felix's arm.

-

"I don't understand why you guys didn't have Shuhua talk to her,"

"Auntie, Shuhua, yes she has talked to tons of survivors, but Felix can understand what happened with Juni on a similar level," Yeji said.

"How does he understand?" She questioned.

"Because he does. Auntie, we love you, but Yeji trust Felix and I trust Felix, if we didn't trust him, then Shuhua would be here," Hyunjin stated.

"What do even know about him? You only met him, what? Three or Four months ago,"

"Stop, I know enough about him to know that he knows what he is doing and that he would approach this situation much different than... he just knows how to do this, okay?"

-

"Remember if things are hazy, that is fine, just do your best to recount it. Small details don't necessarily matter, but if you zone in on a smell or something that to remember it's fine," Felix said.

Juni nodded.

"Remember if you need to stop, just tell me, I know sometimes bringing these memories back up is hard,"

"I've been waiting to do this for three years, I just need him out of my life,"

Felix nodded.

After a couple hours of talking and some tears they finished.

The two walked into the living room where Hyunjin, Yeji, and their aunt were.

"We went over everything. She is perfectly capable of going up there and testifying," Felix said.

"Are you sure?" Yeji asked.

"Yes, you have a strong little girl, Yeji,"

"He cried more than me," Juni said.

Hyunjin looked over to Felix.

"Can't help it. I can barely get through inside out without crying. The bongo scene gets me every time," he said.

"It was fun talking to you, Lixie,"

Felix smiled, "It was fun talking to you, it was a nice talk,"

"I hate to break it up, but Felix and I have to go. We still have a bit to do before tomorrow. Your mom is going to stay tonight and drive you guys to the courthouse tomorrow, then you are going to stay with Shuhua," Hyunjin explained.

The teen nodded.

"Okay, I'll see you guys tomorrow," she said.

Felix and Hyunjin waved, leaving the house.

"So you guys had a good talk?" Hyunjin asked, as soon as they were in the car.

"Yeah, she is brilliant," Felix answered, buckling his seatbelt.

Hyunjin started the car and pulled out of the driveway.

"I was wondering, why doesn't Yeji have custody of Juni?"

"Uh, well when Yeji left her ex husband, it was already a toxic situation and at the time I didn't know but he threatened her, said if she took Juni, he'd say that she was kidnapping Juni, that she was abusive.

This was nine years ago, and since then Yeji has been trying to get Juni. It wasn't until three years ago when Juni ended up in the hospital after saying she wanted to be with Yeji that they awarded temporary custody to our aunt," Hyunjin explained.

"Sometimes it is just hard to fathom why people do what they do," Felix muttered.

"Yeah, but that is why lawyers and cops and the legal system exists. To help, some of us forget that, but quite a few of us haven't,"

Felix bit his lip and nodded.

To help...