Chapter 42

"So you're telling me.. she was trapped in that cave for several days with a god which is blinded by wrath?"

"Which is why one decided to adopt her"

"So you trained her with adepti's art?"

"Indeed, however her homicidal urges did not subside with age. Rather, they grew stronger day by day"

"Moon carver once performed a divination for her, he declared that"her fate is to bear the curse of calamity, consumed by malevolent energy, she is prone to bring harm to those around her. Such is the magnitude of a danger this poses that her soul must be bound with red ropes to keep her homicidal instinct at bay"

"I see...but why..does she barely show any emotions? Is it because of the red rope?"

Retainer nodded slightly.

"The red ropes had indeed served to keep her calmer and more content, but also seem to have rendered her somewhat...inexpressive. Perhaps the red ropes are so powerful that they have suppressed some of her other emotions as well"

Retainer then look slightly to the side where shenhe, on the house were shenhe was sleeping before retainer then looked at you.

"It is only by fate that people's path may cross. Now that shenhe's path has crossed with yours, please be sure to treasure the gift that fate has given you, and take good care of her"

"Now this feels like your giving me responsibility.. though I never knew you would be so worried and decided to check how she's doing"

You let out a soft mocking chuckled which made retainer annoyed.

"Hmph! You dare draw such a facile conclusion on the nature on one's present excursion? Incorrect. The truth is that while liyue harbour may seem peaceful today, danger is always lurking in the shadows"

"Ningguang once made a bold assertion that this is to be the era of the contract between liyue and humans... well. One is most curious to observe how she will respond to the coming storm"

"Hmm..I'm sure she'll respond to that pretty well.."

"..if she handles it admirably, one is willing to be witness to her achievements. But if she does not... the adepti shall not hesitate to seize control"

"I assure you she will and I would not hesitate to lend a helping hand if she needs it"

Retainer was surprised to hear those words coming from your mouth but then returned her composure back.

"Let us conclude our conversation here for today. One has occupied enough of your time, and night is approaching. Be sure to get ample rest"

"I will..thanks for telling me her story"

Retainer just nod before proceeding to leave as you just looked back at the house where shenhe was sleeping.

"...I must get back to wangshu inn before ningguang will get suspicious"

You mumbled as you flew over to wangshu inn. You landed on the balcony as you went to your shared room.

Once you open the door, you check for ningguang's presence only to see her already sleeping at the bed.

You sigh in relief upon seeing her as you then decided to take a bath for a moment and after that you went back to your room and gently crawl into bed as sat beside her figure.

You watched her sleep for a while as you lean your hand and caressed her hair gently and careful so that she won't wake up.

A smile crept your face as you kept caressing her hair while you then lean down to kiss her forehead and you did.

It was a gentle kiss while you were about to pull away when suddenly a pair of arms had wrapped around your neck and kept you in place.

Ningguang was now awake as she was just waiting for you patiently while she smiled.

"You were awake all this time?"

You asked surprised as she just chuckled and caressed your cheeks.

"I've just been waiting for you, dear, how's your day on finding that sunset vermillionite?"

You were more surprised that she knew about that.

"How did you-"

She cut you off by kissing your lips so sudden as she then giggled.

"You really Think I didn't notice you listening to my announcement earlier?"

"...."

"What made you be interested on my little contest hm? If you want to know something then you can just ask me without even competing on the contest, dear~"

You got flustered a little but then responded.

"I really don't care about the contest, I just want to help you..I know how important the jade chamber is to you and you can't wait to rebuild it, which is why I'm willing to help you with or without the reward. This is my decision"

It was her turn to be surprised now as a blush crept up her face but then soon smiled as she suddenly showered you with kisses that made you melt immediately.

She then made you laid beside while she snuggled on your neck and wrapped her arms on you as well as her legs.

"I'm sure your exhausted after all that, you should rest my dear"

She said and started caressing your hair which you begin to feel sleepy immediately because of how she caressed your hair.

You didn't notice your arm started wrapping around her as she just smiled at you and kept caressing your hair until you fell asleep.

Once you fell asleep ningguang then gave you a quick peck on the lips then made you lay between her breast while still caressing your hair.

"Goodnight, my dear adepti~"