Chapter 8

Ishani's POV

After some painstaking hours the main event was finally over and everyone dispersed to engage. Shreya was representing her brother's company. She got called by one of their investors, so here I was surrounded by people who want my involvement but have no real asset to provide. But I understand their desperation. I was at their place once. This desperation is good. It means that they have a drive to achieve. I talk to them and listen to their offers. I decline most of them but give constructive feedback. But one of them doesn't seem to relent and now I am getting tired and very much frustrated. God coming here feels like the worst idea!!

I look over the man's shoulder and see Laksh talking to someone. I excuse myself and walk over to him. He smiles as he sees me coming.

"Someone can't keep their promises" I whisper to him with a playful glint. " I was just coming over" he whispers back. He turns to the man in front of me introduces us. " This is Ishani Agnihotri -"

"CEO of Lasya. Of course I know. The woman practically owns the fashion industry in India" he says while forwarding his hand. I place my hand in his and he lifts it gently kissing the back of my palm. "Dev Mittal " I exclaim in recognition and he smiles. I had never met him but he has a strong reputation. No illegal work. No case of fraud. His slate is clean. Or it's what he shows. No one reaches at the top without doing something shady.

"You never told me you knew such a lovely lady Ranawat. I wouldn't have wasted my time on pearls if I knew this diamond existed." He says raking his eyes over me.

"And what makes you think you can afford this diamond Mr.Mittal" I say with a light smirk.

"Why don't you name your price" he says as he steps forward and looks at me.

I understand the meaning behind his words and my blood boils. How dare he. Laksh steps in front of me

"You don't even deserve to walk the ground she walks on, so back off" he says coldly motioning with his fingers. "Why does it matter to you?" he says narrowing his eyes and looking at the both of us. He then scoffs " Didn't know you had it in you Ranawat" he says with a smirk. " But again this is expected from a person like you" he says and Laksh grits his teeth in anger. I stand there confused from what he said and from the change in Laksh's demenour. This is so not the guy I met. I need to stop him before he breaks the man's face.

" Mind your tongue Mittal. She's like my sister" Laksh seethes. Mittal steps forward but before he could say anything someone steps between them that makes him step back. Laksh smiles darkly as he sees his brother.

"What is going on here?" he says. His voice a cold vice. Dominating and hard. Something about his tone me shiver. Mittal looks at me for a second that makes Mr.Ranawat turn. A muscle flickers in his jaw as he looks at me. I can't seem to look away from him. My body sings in his presence. A throat clears and I realise that both of us were staring at each other.

"You know her?" Mittal asks. Mr.Ranawat looks at me once and says "Never seen her before".

This man. The audacity!! First he holds my hand, then he taunts me and now behaves as if he doesn't know me. What a farce. I scoff. The three of them look at me.

"Something on your mind Ishani?" Mittal says clicking his tongue.

"Its Ms.Agnihotri for you and yes the only thought on my mind is how much I would like to break you face" I growl. He laughs. " I would much rather me do the breaking" he says while licking his lips. I feel so digusted by this man that I resist the urge to gag. My fist tightens and I look away to prevent causing a scene.