Chapter 99

(Clothing worn by Persea and Lì as shown above)

Lì's POV

- the next morning -

You'd think that waking up to Persea snuggled up beside me, leaving no space between us, with her arms wrapped tightly around my neck, her legs intertwined with mine, her nose frequently rubbing against my neck every time she moves her face, the warm puffs of air brushing against my neck and her palm that seemed to have slipped past the thin single-layer robe—that I had on when she appeared in my courtyard— and rested above the collar bone, lighting the bare skin on fire would have been the worst part of waking up, but no... 

The worst part would be looking up to see Bai Ze, Bai Zou—and if they weren't bad enoughmy father staring down at us with absolute astonishment and pure horror (you can guess who) painted across their faces.

I immediately moved to sit up, forgetting that Persea was half on top of me, only to be pushed back down by a half-asleep Persea. "If you get up, I will kill you!" She mumbles in her sleep-driven state, nuzzling closer towards me, tossing her right leg over me and immobilizing me in the process. Bai Ze's face glowers menacingly, either at the comment or the action.

"Persea! I need you to wake up!" I whispered with an urgency that had her grumbling but opening her eyes. Her eyes fluttered open and she took in the sight but instead of jumping off me like I assumed she would, she simply yawned and stretched out on the bed. "You know, where I come from, there is this thing called 'knocking and waiting for permission before barging in as you please'." She remarked, her tone mildly sarcastic with an underlying exasperation. I stared at her wide-eyed.

She did not just say that!

"You-you-you!!!" Bai Ze stammered, his face turning red.

"Yes, why not? We'll just wait till you've formed a proper sentence! Gods forbid, we have nothing better to do with our time." Persea replied with an exaggerated eye-roll, her tone dripping with sarcasm. I'm starting to think she just likes egging him on and pissing him off half the time. I'd be laughing my arse off if it weren't for the fact that my brain is zeroed in on my father, who is watching this interaction with a mixture of bemusement and thinly veiled disapproval, his eyebrows slightly furrowed and a faint frown tugging at the corners of his lips. This was not how I imagined them meeting; if I were being honest, I'd never even have wanted them to cross paths.

"How dare you speak before the king in this manner??" Bai Ze exclaimed in pure annoyance and hatred. I wonder what would happen if he found out who Persea actually was.

"Can you blame me? You all just barged in here without consideration. What if we had been in the middle of doing the deed right about now??" Persea exclaimed in an even tone, which had me choking on air.

SHE DID NOT JUST SAY THAT!!!

My cheeks ignited, a flush spreading all the way from my ears to my neck as my mind, traitor that it is, conjured the image she described. Her lips twitched, just barely, as she schooled her features to not give away her obvious amusement of the situation. She met my incredulous gaze and actually winked mischeviously at the obvious shade of red I must have taken.

"Can everyone please just leave for a few minutes and we'll be out with you?" I force out, finally snapping out of my stupor, wanting nothing more than for them to leave. The three look at each other and reluctantly walk out of the room, leaving the two of us alone. 

"What the heck was that?!" I exclaimed as soon as the door shut behind them as I jumped out of bed.

She shrugged, "I just thought it would be fun!" she said with a smirk. "And boy, was it!" She burst into laughter that she had been holding back. "Did you... Did you see Bai Ze's face??? 'You-You-You' Pftt!!!" She imitated before doubling over in laughter again. My lips started to curve at the sight of her glowing but I clapped my palm to my lips. I'm supposed to be mad at her, not find her adorable, for goodness sake!!!