3: Oh look! A cat!

Sleepy was one way to describe it.

I'd rather go with 'endlessly tired', though. Just as endless as my walk.
My short paws walked through familiar streets... without end.

Everything still ached, and my still bruised leg— or paw I should say, only hurt worse with every step. It had hurt before, sure, but now it was way worse.
I must have landed weird in the explosion.

The sun was about to go down and I was still so far from home.
With a sigh I paused my step.
I shook on my paws, ready to plop down and nap on the street. Anything but more walking.

People passed me, some looked down with surprising soft smiles while others looked with hatred or fear.
A black cat... wasn't here superstition around them? Like, bad luck? Would people actually believe that?

Maybe some people had allergies and that's why they looked with dislike, actually, I felt weird about coming near people with that realisation—
Who am I kidding, I was a cat and wasn't even supposed to be realising that sort of thing right now.

Looking around I found someone dressed in black, a white cloth around their shoulders.

Immediately I recognised him as the Pro Hero: Erasurehead.
Crap! I couldn't get caught now! I was far too weak to run, and dodging the capture gear was out of the question!
Some panic surged into me as I looked for a hiding place. After a few seconds of pure panic, I realised I didn't have to.

I was a cat!

Slowly I walked towards the hero, just to amuse myself.
I was an optimist.
Or so I liked to think.

At first he didn't notice me. He was deep in thought, his eyes half closed as though he was about to fall asleep.
I stood a meter away from him, thinking it marvellous how he wasn't attacking me, trying to arrest me. Even if he'd succeed, I'd technically be innocent. If they wouldn't find any camera footage anyway...

The hero slowly looked up, his eyes found me and they widened a bit. A soft smile covered his face and I almost stepped back. Never had I seen him smile, what was happening? Was this cat magic?

"Here, kitty."

Haha, hell no.
I knew I was a cat, but no!

I turned around, now disgusted. I mean, again, I knew I was a cat— but come on! That sounds so weird!

"Oh..." the hero said disappointed. He leaned his elbow on his knee and once more stared off into space, his look now sad.

Damn...

Did I really feel bad? I closed my eyes before I turned around and walked back to the hero.
He looked at me with a new smile, slightly surprised and reached out to my head.

No—
Hell no!

With a front paw I swatted his hand away.

"Don't want to get pet?" The hero asked amusedly.

"No," I wanted to say, but a low meow left my voice. Figures, I was a cat.
Looks like I had tested how I sounded when I talked then.

"I've got food."

I felt my ears perk up and the hero smiled a bit more. He reached into his pocket where he had a small bag of cat treats.

Tilting my head at it, I wondered wether my taste buds were different. Were they? What about my entire digestive system?

The hero held out his hand. The treat looked big, I mean, everything did. I put my nose to it, smelling it first.
Nope, still smelled disgusting.