11: Evidence

When I woke up I was clutching onto something. Nope, not the teddy. I pushed it off the bed and curled back up.
I wasn't a five year old!

When I got out of bed it was already quite late in the morning. Someone greeted me and told me to find someone somewhere.

I walked into an office where someone gave me a smile.
If there's anything I've learned about smiles, is that they hide things.
What is this person hiding? How tired she is? How much she hates kids? How much she wants me on the streets?

"Take a seat," the person said, "I'm miss Laura. I make sure everyone here goes to school every day."

"Am I in trouble?" I said hesitantly while I felt my cat ears appear and fall flat against my head.
My tail swished slightly, why was my quirk there anyway? I wondered why Laura failed to contain a laugh, it wasn't funny!

"No, you're not in trouble. I just thought it might be nice to spend the last few months of middle school on a different school."

"Oh," I felt my ears perk up, "That seems nice, what school?"

"Hitoshi, er... Hitoshi Shinso, he's about you age, he goes to a school not to far away."

"Are you sure it's not a bother?" I tilted my head, "Paperwork and all... and won't Shinso dislike—"

"That kid needs more friends," Laura said with an adoring smile, "And I'm married to the papers, so it's no problem at all." 'Married to the papers', is this woman okay?

"O-okay..." I looked away, "Can I ask, just to confirm," I thought of the words, "I will stay here until I'm eighteen, right?"

"Well..." Laura gestured to the seat I still hadn't taken and waited.

"I'd prefer to stand." Next to the door. Thanks.

"I'd prefer you'd sit, but alright," Laura sat back herself, "You're in the foster system now. This means people can adopt you—"

"So they'll just snatch me up and buy me or something?"

"No— not at all like that!" Laura said with wide eyes, "You're not an object! In All Might's name!"

I shrugged and waited for Laura to actually explain. My tail couldn't help but to swish in impatience.

"The foster system works as follows," Laura said forcefully calmly, "You live here. Someone can take interest in you, and you'll go to their household for a while, just to see wether you'll like it. If you do you can make it official, or do a new testing thing where we check up on you every week and you can go back here if you dislike it."

I nodded, "Okay, can I just... not do all that and stay here?"

Laura smiled, "You like it here?"

"It's decent," I nodded, "So far so good and all..."

"Well, we can't just keep you here. It's better anyway for gou to get a proper parent. Oh— before I forget, do you know anyone under the name Shota Aizawa?"

I frowned, "What's with that guy?"

"Oh, he just said that if you've got any trouble to call him or to go to..." she looked under something before holding up a card, "This address. His doors are always open. Seems you're in luck."

I was supposed to take the card.
My feet were planted n the floor as I just nodded.

"This one is for you," Laura gestured for me to take it.

Right. Well that's awkward.
My eyes glanced for the door.
"Er..."

Laura sighed and put the card on her desk. "Anything the matter?"

I turned and hurried out.

When I closed the door with a slam someone looked at me weird.
A low growl left me and the kid looked away again.

I walked up to my room and locked the door. I took a few deep breaths.
What the fuck just happened? Where did that panic come from?
Why didn't I want to get closer to her? She seemed decent of a person!

The idea of kicking something entered my mind and immediately my shoe met with the dresser.
"Dammit!" I called out angrily. I walked to the window and opened it.

Fuck all fuck everything. I climbed through the window and found the ground under my feet in seconds.
I left, not caring to put reason behind my anger.

The cop station was busy this morning.
I walked in and passed all the people. Nobody payed me much mind while I walked like I was supposed to be there. I even payed attention to my breathing. Casual, slightly purposeful. My cat ears and tail were gone so they wouldn't betray me. Nothing could go wrong.

I didn't know where they stored evidence, but it didn't take me long to find it.

What troubled me was the lock that kept the fence closed. I huffed.
Letting some claws appear, I tried to break the lock open. After a few tries the lock clicked and I pushed the fence open as soft as I could.

There were a shit ton of boxes. I walked through them, looking for a particular mask and cloak.

I found a total of three pairs of them. Damn, I lose them a lot. I took them all and put them in the new backpack the orphanage kindly gave me.

That was half the plan gone right, now the other half. If I got caught I'd be in a lot of trouble here...
While I walked back through the crowd of working people, someone suddenly touched my shoulder.

"(Y/n)?" Detective Tsukauchi said almost confused, "I didn't hear you were coming."

"Oh," I turned around, looking a bit lost now, "I just... you know..."

Tsukauchi obviously felt sorry for my frail shaking. If he only knew I forced it.

"I just wanted to hear it from you." I tilted my head so a bit of hair would fall in front of it, "You do the investigation around my dad's case, right? Do you know... will I be safe?"

Detective Tsukauchi gave me a determined look. "I will personally see to it that your father gets locked away and won't ever touch you again!"

I forced a slight smile. "Thank you." I looked away and wiped away a non existing tear. "Thank you so much!"

I should become an actress. Somehow the detective gave me a soft smile.
"Should I prepare you some tea while we discuss the details of the case?"

"No, I should be going," I shook my head, "They don't know I'm gone, I don't want to worry anyone."

"Oh, go quickly then," the detective said before he sternly suddenly said. "And don't make me call them to see wether you're actually there."

I held back from sticking out my tongue at him. Aizawa had probably told him just how good I was at disappearing from places like a certain Recovery Girl's office.
"What? I don't ever get into trouble."
With that I hurried away, a grin hiding on my lips.

It's not like I was ever going to see the detective again anyway.

I went outside and looked around. I put on my mask somewhere, my cloak over my clothes and I prepared to kick some asses!

The anger pushed all the thoughts around in my brain. All my thoughts felt heavy. I just wanted it gone.
How?

By kicking some random people's asses!