28: Not a good cook

Mic wasn't a good cook. Or that's what I got told by Aizawa.

Maybe if I had protested on time I'd have been able to get something else to eat.

Now though...

"I don't wanna..."

Aizawa's shoved me into the car and closed the door. He got in himself and I noticed how this was not the backseat. Something was wrong here.

"I want in the back at least," I said annoyed, my cat ears showing once more and I tried of push them back.

"Why?"

"Becuase," I said and opened the door again, only to have it locked.

"We're late."

"Such a lame reason to lock me up," I grumbled, already wanting to claw my way out.

"Put on your seatbelt," Aizawa ordered and I did so, but not because I wanted to!

When I finally got out of the car it felt very much better. I did not like being locked up!

Mic let us into his apartment where Midnight was already drinking some tea. The apartment was rather big. I could see where the pressure came from— for Aizawa's back then, to get a decent apartment. Though for one person this one was big.

"You want anything to drink?" Mic asked politely.

"No thanks," I said, just wanting food and then take my leave. I could easily walk back home from here if I wanted to.

After Aizawa told me to, I sat down on a chair. I pulled out my phone, texting Shinso about how bored I was.
He replied, telling me to try and to socialise.

I replied in turn;

Shinso
Try to socialise, you'll finally get to learn an actual skill!

Me
Socialising? Didn't know you knew that word.

Shinso
:D still though, it's been a while and you're still with Aizawa. Maybe try and make friends or something?

Me
Small question
But
Do you perhaps want me dead?

Dinner was served and I did not get so see Shinso's reaction as Aizawa told me to put my phone away.
The food was quite decent. Midnight apparently helped and... did that improve it? How— anyway, I finished up the plate and picked back up my phone.

Everyone was talking, and I was just there, so no problem right?

"(Y/n)," Aizawa had to say, "No phones—"

"I'm texting about homework," I lied with ease.

"..." Aizawa's glanced at his friends awkwardly, "Ninety percent says she's lying."

"The other ten percent says that... your mom."

Aizawa gave me a glare while Mic tried to keep in his laugh.

"Don't make me take your phone."

"You wouldn't," I said simply, "I'd probably end up embarrassing you in front of your only friends."

"Ooooh," Midnight giggled, "She got you there."

"I've got more friends," Aizawa defended, looking away.

"Who? Dorothy?"

Now Mic burst out laughing while Aizawa seemed to just completely give up.
"I should not have given you a phone in the first place."

I... I guess I'm not worth the phone.

"Can I go home soon?" I asked, realising immediately what I said exactly. Home. It felt weird, "I need to work on homework, turns out I made the wrong thing."

"Of course!" Midnight said before Aizawa could speak.

"Thanks, I'll just walk—"

"You didn't even touch your food," Aizawa said annoyed.

Without warning my cat ears and tail appeared. I looked at Aizawa slightly alarmed, a tad sad.
"Did I do something wrong?"

Midnight jumped up to give me a hug.
"Of course not! You're doing great!! I'm proud of you studying so hard!!" she continued on to make magical hearts appear in the air and Aizawa just glared. He couldn't get a word through without looking like the bad guy.

"Okay then," I escaped Midnight, "Bye!"

"Hold on, before you go," Aizawa said and I paused in front of the front door. "There's a bag in the kitchen, surprise for you."

I paused.
Leave. Leave. Leave. I was being the bad guy here, I hated it, I just had to leave the situation.
"...thanks." I hurried out the door and nearly ran to the apartment.

Dorothy greeted me by hissing and I hissed back.
She didn't attack though, opting to hide in Aizawa's room.

Under the sink I found a bag. It must have been planned as a real surprised then...
I pulled it out and lifted it up onto the table.
In it was something to sharpen my claws. A simple wooden plate with straw like rope around it.
I sighed. It was perfect.

Now I felt even more bad...
My throat was blocked as I held away the tears.

After changing into something more comfortable, I sat down on the couch with the wooden plate.
Carefully I sharpened my claws, cringing at the aches in my fingers.

Dorothy used her much taller version of it and I rolled my eyes. Mine was portable! And newer!

I didn't even know how long I was there, just clawing away a bit. It was therapeutic.
Anyway, Aizawa came home and saw me. He went to make hot chocolate and turned on the tv.
Finally I put away the scratching thing and curled up on the couch, leaving my tail and ears out as they itched to be.

"Have you ever thought of what to do with your future?" Aizawa randomly asked when the movie got boring.

I shrugged tiredly. "Never considered I'd have a bright one. I was quirkless."

"Hm. Well, you're under my care now. Quirkless or not, what do you want to be?"

Well...

Let's see...

"No idea."
It's not like I'm worth the struggle.

"Sweetie! We're leaving without you!"

"Coming mom! Honestly though, how would you test my quirk without me?"

"Intelligence! That's your quirk!"

"No dad, I'm not that smart."

"Quirkless...?"

"But mom? Can I still become a hero?"

"A hero?" My farher frowned, seeming to know the truth.

"Don't let the world tell you what you can or cannot become."

"Well," Aizawa said while I thought, "Whatever it is you want, I'll try my hardest to get you there."

Even if I'd want to become a hero?
It felt like I was trying to pry open an old rusty box. The dust was sticking to the polish on the wood, I couldn't even get a proper grip on it.
Why was this so important to me?

"Zawa?" I asked absent minded, "Shinso wants to become a hero. He wants to get into UA, but his quirk doesn't work on robots. Will you help him out?"

Aizawa thought. "I could. I mean, I guess there's room at the gym I used to work out. I don't really go there anymore but..."

"But you will train with Shinso?" I said surprised.

"As long as you go too," Aizawa said, "I'm sure you're bored enough—"

"Of course!" I smiled suddenly, "It'll be great! Shinso will be over the moon!"

"Though, you'd need to eat your veggies."

"...Am I going to die?"

Aizawa burst out laughing suddenly. Whoa... he could do that?
He keeps on amazing me. What a weird guy.

I couldn't help but throw my ears back, the corners of my ears turning up as I hid my smile.
Somehow it felt less weird that this was home.