21: Trusting Someone We Know We Can Trust!

There was one thing my dad had taught me that came in useful right now.

Pain tolerance!

Still the smell of blood, the metallic taste in my mouth and the yelps of pain were there.

The abandoned building seemed alive with sounds, though it was restricted to that dark room.

After a while I found myself half blacked out, the screaming having stopped and the door closing, leaving me alone.

Slowly I sat up, feeling the rough ropes against my wrists.
Unless I got the bounds lose I couldn't turn into a cat. Of course I tried just to be sure, but the quirk test had told me that much already. Besides, if I turned into a cat and had bounds on my paws, that wouldn't make it easy to escape.

Yet, if I stayed here, struggling without an end, I'd get beaten up more until my breathing would stop.
Dying wasn't the fear here, it was honestly Aizawa that I was worried about. He would find me dead and that would be sad. He already got depressed over a cat! What would he do when he knew the cat, me, and the random vigilante had died? He'd be so sad.

I fidgeted with the ends of the bounds. The villain came back inside with a knife. He gave me a grin, one that had that sparkle. Honestly, it was kinda misplaced considering he would cut off my fingers if I didn't do anything.

But I could do this, I could escape!
Preparing was easy. I just bit down on my cheek hard.
A soft pop sounded as hard pain shot through my arm. My wrist now fitted through the bounds before another pop sounded.

Everything hurt.
My wrist wasn't worse, but I had to hold in a scream as it was added.

The villain gave me a glance as I got the ropes lose. He gave me a suspicious look. I stared down at the ground as I held the ropes behind my back, still in my hands, looking just as hopeless as I felt.
Fortunately the villain turned back to admiring the knife while he made some comments like, 'your face would be prettier with a large gash on it.'.

I didn't bother getting up and used my quirk. As a cat I hurried out, avoiding a startled attempt to snatch me up. My clothes were left behind, so was the blood and no doubt they would figure out what had happened...

I should hurry! I knew the shop Cody worked at was close by! They could help me!

Even if I tried to run, it hurt too much and I ended up nearly crawling. I turned back once I was a safe distance away and shivered in the uncomfortable wind. While I was glad it didn't obstruct my movement, I would have preferred a winter coat made from that nano tech.

I continued on, feeling like I failed to stop the whole thing. Did I fail? I did didn't I?

Crap... can't I do anything right?

Stepping into the shop I heard the sound of a bell.

Behind the counter Cody sat. He looked up before his eyes turned into panic. I must look like shit...

"Are you alright—"

"I'm fine," I said softly, "I just... I need to close some wounds, quick, I'm in a hurry."

"Wha— how do you mean in a hurry?" Cody said with a frown.

"No matter, do you have bandages? A lighter? Anything?"

Cody nodded and gestured to the stairs, "Come, I'll help." I knew he wouldn't recognise me, though somehow it seemed like he did, somehow.

I nodded and hurrying on after him. I should get my cloak and mask out at the very least. I could try to defeat the villains. A sneak attack would be the smartest. Why was I even so stupid to try to fight immediately after three days of being lazy? I'm so stupid—

I stepped into a room upstairs and looked around. Where were they?
"Cody?"

A hit on my head had the world turn black.

Author, what the fuck—