10: A Decent Place

When someone drove me to an orphanage I was already rather annoyed for reasons.
My eyes irritated a bit from crying. No, I hadn't cried in front of people, just in private where I wouldn't bother anyone with it. (Wait, that's sad isn't it).

At the hospital a quirk doctor immediately had a look at what the fuck, and now I was reading through the papers with only half an interest.
It was a weak quirk. Not much better than quirkless, but improvement for chances of adoption, I supposed.

I knew shit was waiting for me.
My particular quirk apparently made me more cat like in my personality, meaning that if you pissed me off I might lose control. God I was not the right person for this quirk.
Maybe it had already been working for a while now. I mean, I had been getting more and more agitated at things.

"We're here," someone said. I looked up, finally seeing their face.

I nodded and got out. I didn't want to interact with anyone, not now anyway.

"Hey, I talked to you!"

I just walked inside, leaving all the 'belongings' in the car. Those things weren't even mine. They were some stuff Aizawa threw in the car and my dad's stuff that they supposed were mine.

"My god... I need a raise," the worker just said before turning to the car.

Inside it seemed decent. Small kids ran around while playing tag. There were cute childish drawings hanging around, but it was obvious no older kids were around. My fourteen year old ass was way out of place.

I found one person though.

"Hey," I said, "Are you the only one above ten here?"

The person looked up with two insomnia eyes.
Purple hair was pulled up much like Aizawa's when he used his quirk.
"Not anymore, I guess. I'm Shinso Hitoshi."

"(Y/n)," I politely nodded, "Let me guess, shared rooms? What's food look like here?"

"I don't know where you're from, but it's decent here."

I sighed. "I've got trust issues."

"Noticed that."

"You seem like a dickhead."

"Likewise."

There was a pause.
Suddenly I grinned, finding amusement in Shinso's eyes as well.
"We'll be good friends. Where can I find my room?"

Shinso got up and I followed him upstairs. There were quite some rooms.
"New kids get a room of their own. Especially if they're troubled." He opened the room, "Oh shit, they put clothes already in our room." He grinned, "That's a sign you're very troubled."

I gave him a slight glare. "I don't suppose you just know, do you?"

"I got the same treatment," Shinso just nodded, "They'll be keeping their distance if you're lucky."

I walked in. "And if I'm not lucky?"

"They'll be checking your every move," Shinso shrugged, "Either way, I'll leave you to it."

The door closed and I was alone. Did I just get told I was in prison? I don't know either. Weird guy.
There was a bed, a dresser and a desk. The carpet was soft, but I disliked the ugly colour. I found the bed and tested it, jumping on it before getting off with half an approving nod.
The dresser was half filled, the other half still in a box. Someone must have given up half way through...

Almost automatically I finished filling the dresser. While I worked, folding the clothes as though they weren't mine but for someone who actually mattered, the door opened.

Someone came through, carrying a few bags.

"I see you're already getting settled," the person from the car said, "This room is all yours. Don't harm the walls and carpet, but you can use tape to hang stuff up on the walls. I guess decorating is all your choice, ask though, if you don't know wether it's allowed or not. Er... I guess food is always available. Just ask downstairs, don't take it up or we might get rats or something. Further... yeah, you'll figure it out."

I nodded and the person left again.
When I finished with the clothes I walked to the bags.
There were three.

One with my dad's stuff which I didn't really touch. One had a note which said 'from Aizawa', and one I opened it first.

It was filled with random stuff. I found a few books, a phone number, a random teddy bear (did he think I was five?) and other things I wondered about.

That afternoon I just read one of the books. When I finished it I walked downstairs to see someone handing out dinner.

Shinso was helping, he actually smiled at a kid who asked him a few questions about his quirk.

"It's really cool!" The kid said, "How's it work?"

Shinso put his hand on the kid's head and petted it awkwardly. "Well, I can tell you to go and eat your veggies, and you finally would."

"Oh, but I don't want to eat my veggies!"

"If you don't you can't become a hero."

"...oh." The child walked off and sat on a large dinner table while Shinso prepared another plate. There was a large pot with the food and I walked up to it.

"Do I just get to eat?" I asked curiously.

Shinso flinched, "What the— where'd you come from?"

"Hell," I replied dryly, "Now can I eat? Or are there rules...?"

With a sigh Shinso grabbed another plate from a cupboard. He filled it with food and handed it to me.
"If you want more, just grab it."

I looked at the plate. "I'm in food heaven. ...do you have anything... never mind." I wasn't about to say fish... that's weirdly cat like.

"You can look through the cupboards if that makes you happy."

I nodded and went to sit at the table.
Some kid was splattering food everywhere opposite me and I raised an eyebrow at them.
"Do you mind?"

"Mind what?" The kid said stupidly, "What's your quirk?"

I rolled my eyes and turned to my food. When I was full I threw away what was left, cleaning the plate and putting it back as though nobody had touched it.

"You can just leave it in the sink," someone said kindly, "We do turns with the cleaning."

"Oh," I said as I looked away, "Too late I guess..."

The kid giggled, "You're very cute with those cat ears."

I felt my eyes twitch. How many times were they going to randomly pop up without me noticing?

Inside my room I found a cheap laptop. I opened it and looked up easy ways to deactivate a transformation quirk.

While I researched an add for UA popped up. I frowned at it.
Random.
My eyes glanced at the teddy bear I had put on my bed neatly.

Aizawa was working there, wasn't he? What of a hero school was it? I knew it was one of the best out there, but what else was there to it?

While I got distracted by my side quest the sun went down. When it was late enough I pushed the laptop away and threw myself in the bed.

What a day...

Guess I had a decent bed now?