The Short Man

"WAKE UP!!" I hear someone shout.

"GET UP!" Another person shouts. I force my eyes open and see Sophia and Andrea jumping on my bed and yelling at me to wake up.

"What!" I say. I can barely see anything. I grab my glasses and put them on.

"Someone is adopting today!!" Sophia shouts. I smile. "Get out of bed!"

"Ok, ok. Did Miss Mary tell you when they were coming?" I ask while trying to sit up because they were still bouncing on my bed.

"Around noon," Andrea says while climbing off my bed with Sophia.

I look at the clock on the wall. 9:34. I sigh. At least I dont have work today.

I get out of bed and go downstairs. Sophia and Andrea stay behind. Probably gossiping about who the person is and who is gonna get adopted.

I go to the kitchen and Karen, Summer, Marley, and Bridgette are sitting at the table eating cereal and talking.

"Goodmorning," I say and walk over to the fridge. They all say goodmorning back. I grab one waffle from the box in the freezer full of waffles. I walk to the toaster and put it in.

I turn around and walk to the table. I sit next to Bridgette. They are all 14. They all have brown hair and brown eyes except for Marley. She has dirty blonde hair.

"Thats all your going to eat?" Summer asks while looking at the toaster.

"Yeah. You girls know me, I dont really need a lot to eat," I say.

"Awwww," says Karen. She loves food, like a lot. I smile.

"Did Miss Mary say anything about the man thats coming today?" I ask, changing the subject of my eating. I dont like to say I have a eating disorder. But I think I do.

"Yeah, she says she did an interview with him and he is really nice and he has a fun personality," Marley says. Great. Thats everything that I used to be.

The toaster pops up. I get my waffle and sit back down. I start eating.

"Miss Mary says he saw one of us outside once and he felt so bad and he wanted to help," Karen said. I wonder who?

I finish my waffle.

"Oh. Well im gonna go take a shower," I say. Even though I took one yesterday, I still feel like I need to.

~AFTER SHOWER~

I put on light skinny jeans and a plain black t-shirt. I put on the only shoes that I have, black and white converse.

I look at the clock and its 11:42. Wow that took me a long time to get ready.

"ALEXANDRA!" I hear Miss Mary shout.

I go downstairs and I walk into her office slowly. I stop when I see 7 boys crowded in the room.

"Alexandra, these boys would like to adopt you," Miss Mary says from her desk. She manages to pop a smile at the end. I look at the boys and see them smiling at me. I was speechless.

"W-Wow. Uh thanks," I say. Why would they want to adopt me.

Then I start to think about the bad things. What if they hurt me. They look like strong men. Oh no.

"Her name is Alexandra Addie Collins. She is 16 years old," Miss Mary says handing paperwork to one of the boys.

"Who is gonna be her legal guardian?" Miss Mary asks.

"I am," a short boy, but not shorter than me, says. He has brown hair. To me, he looks kinda tall because im kinda short. After he reads over a paper and signs it, he walks over to me. I take a step back, not sure what to expect.

"Hey," he says.

"Hi," I say quietly.

"Why dont you pack your stuff. We will wait," he says. I nod and run upstairs.

I see Sophia and Andrea sitting on their beds. When I walk in, they look at me.

"What happened?" Andrea asks.

"The man wants to adopt me," I say.

"Really? Thats great! Alex your finally getting out if this place!" Sophia says and Andrea nods in agreement.

I walk up to them and pull them into a group hug.

"I love you girls. You're like the sisters that I never had," I said.

"Love you too," they both say. I pull away from the hug.

"Remind me to visit," I say. They nod and I walk to my side of the room. I pick up my bag that was on my dresser and I took my clothes and my journal and stuffed them in my bag. So, basically everything that I own.

I say a final goodbye to the girls and walk downstairs. I see the men waiting by the exiting door. They all gave me a little smile.

"Ready?" The really tall boy with dirty blonde hair asks. I nod. We start to walk out and the boys guide me to a car. It looks like they took two cars here.

Maybe I should run. Maybe I should escape the pain before it happens. Someone grabs my arm. I look up to see a boy in a blue sweatshirt holding my arm. He knew what I was thing about. He guided me to one of the cars and I went in the back seat. The boy who signed the papers first was driving. A boy who has brown hair and a beard was in the passenger's seat. I sat by the window on the left. A boy with dark skin and a sort of mowhawk hair-do sat next to me. And the boy who asked if I was ready sat next to him. The others went in the other car.

The car ride was silent.

Once we reached the house, all of the boys got out of the car. I can see the car with the rest of the boys pulling up behind us. Once I get out of the car, I look at the house.

It looks huge from the outside. I look at the short one. He gives me a little smile.

I hope these boys are as nice as they look.

A/N
Dont mind the media picture. Its just a visual representation of how I feel right now. Firstly, because its the weekend and I woke up at 6:00 am and I couldnt go back to sleep. Secondly, The Scorch Trials movie comes out this month. Fun fact: im a huge fan of the The Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, and Divergent book series'. I LOVE to read. Thirdly, The Walking Dead Season 6 comes out next month and I cant even put my thoughts into words. And lastly, I have been watching a lot of Larry Stylinson edits lately so... Anyway, have a great weekend!
~Kayla <3