chapter 39.

"Yeah I know." I said walking into the café with raiden laughing.
"What you two talking about?" Hinami asked smiling as she sat at the table with Yuki.
"The rides. Raiden was just talking about how fun they were so I agreed."
I pulled the key ring out and gave it to Hinami.
"That was the first ride we went on."
She smiled and showed it to Yuki before handing it back.
I looked at Raiden and he held out two stuffed animals. A zebra and a pig. "Which one do each of you want?" He asked smiling.
I looked out of the window and soji stood there.
"Why don't you all go upstairs and get in something comfy." I smiled and walked out.
"What was it you needed to tell me?" I asked restlessly.
"Don't act like that I'm doing you a favor. Do you know who Yuki is?"
"Well obviously, he's Yuki?"
"He's rich, you know that, but he's also human."
"That's not possible. He has two kakugans."
"He and his brother were all projects, that's why the ccg want him, but they're not the only people that want him. There are plenty of ghouls after him so they can raise him as their own. If they have someone as strong as him as an ally then their group Is so powerful. They'd take you if you weren't already solid in your choice. But these people taiga, they're dangerous. They'll kill everyone in there without even thinking. They're clever."
"I don't care. I'll die before they take Yuki from me."
"That will and can be arranged taiga! Don't be so arrogant. You have to leave."
"And go where! This is my home. I built a life here."
"Build a new one somewhere else."
"It's not that easy!"
He held my hands and looked at me with the biggest lovestruck expression ever. "I'll come with you. We can build a new one."
I gagged and snatched my hands away.
"Ewwww no!" I dusted my hands off. "Is this a scheme to get me to be with you? Drag me across Japan and we can live happily ever after?"
"No. I'd take you someplace like China. Chinese ghouls are amazing."
"Sojiro!" I shouted. He sighed.
"I'm really sorry but it wouldn't be for long. Just until I can gather some of my people and kill them."
"Why do you need to be such a hero."
"Don't ever mistake my kindness for heroism towards anybody else."
"Look, until I see evidence I won't take action."
Soji's phone began ringing so he answered.
"Okay." He said nodding. He hung up.
"We have to go." He said pulling me towards the café.
I pulled my arm away and turned around.
"Where and why are we walking towards the cafe if we have to leave?"
"You need your mask and your wig."
"Why?" I asked confused.
"Your boyfriend is in trouble."
"Raiden? He's inside?"
"Kaneki."
I widened my eyes and ran inside.
I grabbed my wig and my mask.
"Where are you going?" Raiden asked standing in the doorway. I turned around.
"Uhm." I ran over and pulled him inside my room, closing the door behind him. "There are people after Yuki and they're here. I have to go and scare them off before they kill him."
"I'll come with you."
"No." I said shaking my head. "You need to stay here with Hinami and Yuki incase some of them come here. You'll need to do a runner and keep them safe." I kissed his cheek and ran outside. I put my mask on and hid the wig.
"You ready?" Soji asked holding my hand.
"Are you ready? I'm faster then you."
"But you tire out easily."
"Actually having a ukaku and koukaku kagune they sort of cancel out the disadvantages. I can speed up and not tire out, I'm sturdy and very defensive. I'm super ghoul."
"I guess so." He said running off. I turned around and saw raiden watching me out of the window. I blew a kiss and he pretended to catch it. I laughed and ran off.
We got to an abandoned warehouse and soji stopped me.
"Kaneki is in there." He said picking up dirty rope.
"Cool, what do you plan on doing with the rope?"
"Put your wig on and let me tie you up. I'll pretend your my prisoner and then that'll draw the ghouls out, the ones after Yuki."
I pulled my mask off and gave hit him. I put the wig on and turned around so he could tie me up. He turned me around and rubbed dirt in my face.
"Oh that nessecary?"
"Yeah. When did you last eat?"
"I don't know? A whole ago."
He then punched me in the face, sending me to the ground.
"What the fuck are you doing!" I shouted.
"You won't heal until you eat so I need to make you look beaten up."
He walked me inside and threw me on the ground.
"Cry and wait." He said. He waved and ran away.
"Soji!" I whispered.
I gritted my teeth and lay on my side.
"Hello?"Someone asked.
"Haise?" I asked confused. "Is that you?"
"Shiori?" He shouted. He ran over and cut me free. He helped me up.
"Are you okay?" He asked.
"The ghouls here are too strong you have to leave now!" I shouted.
"My team is here."
"Get them and let's go."
He held my hand and pulled me with him. We were running around trying to find his team members and it was weirdly amazing? He was trying to save me, not kill me?
Just as I went to say something a ghoul appeared in front of us. He threw me to the ground and activated his kagune, but it was different... it wasn't as big or red.
The ghoul began laughing. "That all you got?" He asked as more appeared.
"Shiori run." Haise said.
"But-"
"-please." He said not turning around to see me. I nodded and ran off. I got around the corner and found soji hunched over a body. I ran over and pulled my top off and his hoody. I put his hoody on and grabbed my mask. I pulled the wig off and put it in my pocket. I put my mask on and pulled soji into the warehouse. We both ran inside and jumped in front of haise.
"Ghouls." He snarled.
"Shut up or die." Soji said defending him.
"That's rude." I shouted jumping in front of haise just as a ghoul went to attack him.
"Ah." Someone said. I looked up and presumed this was their leader. I looked at he ghoul trying to kill me and ripped their heart out.
"Taiga. You have the boy and I want him." The man said jumping in front of me.
"I'll die before I let you anywhere near him."
"That and be arranged." He said jumping down.
He hit the heart out of my hand and threw me against the wall, but I managed to kick off it so I didn't hit into it and hurt myself.
"Protecting an investigator." He said grabbing haise by his throat.
"No!" I shouted.
"What is the significance of this particular man?" He asked dropping kaneki.
"Leave him alone!" I shouted. He put his fist straight through haise and pulled it back out. Haise dropped to his knees before falling flat out on his face.
"I got him! Help haise!" Soji shouted. He began fighting with the leader so I jumped down and remembered what Itori told me about the steel keeping their kagunes from integrating with their bodies. I pulled his coat off along with his blazer and shirt. I saw the metal and activated my koukaku.
"I'm sorry." I whispered. I then cut some of it out before ripping it out completely. He began screaming out in pain.
"Bite me! My Rc level is so high that it should heal you!" I pulled my arm and shoulder out of the hoody and pulled haise up.
"Please. Do it for Shiori and your friends." I begged. He looked at me angrily.
"What did you do?"
"You're too weak without your kakuja and kagune, but if you integrate your kagune and get the level high again you can fight these people off and save your friends! The hospital will fix you up again but for now you need to listen and bite me."
"I will not succumb to cannibalism."
"Do it or die! Listen to your friends die! None of you are strong enough."
"Why would you do this for an investigator?"
"Let's just say, I want Shiori to be happy and she's happy with you so bite me!"
He looked at me and but into me. I winced in pain as he bit a chunk out of me. I put the hoody back on properly but haise started screaming. I looked around and saw more ghouls gathering. I grabbed the ghoul with the missing heart and tucked in. I could feel It take over, the urge to demolish every ghoul here. I could feel my body cling on to every taste, every smell from this body...