chapter 62

"NOW YOU ANSWER!" Akira screamed down the phone.
"She sent her ghoul friends to follow me, which means they know someone or something valuable is at the detention centre." I said pacing.
"Are you okay?"
"They injected me with something and I was unconcious for a while, haise helped me."
"Okay, I'll request a transfer for yasuna." She stayed silent before letting out a sigh. "Look after yourself please."
"Careful akira, almost sounds like you care."
"Funny." She hung up so I put my phone back in my bag.
"You ready to go home?" Haise asked.
"Why don't we just stay here." I looked at him and smiled. I had my contact case and Rc fluid in my bag anyway.
"I don't know. Hotels are a bit promiscuous."
"Well, there isn't anything wrong with a tiny bit of promiscuity, is there?"
I stood up and smiled. "I'm teasing you. We should stay here because you paid for it so we might as well use it. We can call room service, have some champagne and food."
"What's the celebration."
"Peace and quiet."
"I like it." He grabbed the phone and called up for room service. Being around kaneki made me feel like me again. I didn't feel like the defective ghoul that kills or abandons everybody, I felt like the ghoul that carried hide underneath a bridge away from tsukiyama. He brought out the best in me, and someone how locked away the worst. I honestly think I'm in love with him... again. I could spend hours just watching the way he ate. The way he hung himself when he thought nobody was looking. The way his eyes would flutter aimlessly over the pages in his books as he was completely absorbed into what he was doing. Perfectly imperfect in his own world, doing as he pleased. I would smile to myself or quietly laugh through my nose as I watched how absent minded he appeared to be to the rest of the world. I would watch as just a small piece of hair would fall into his face repeatedly, and how he'd brush it back just for it to fall down again. He was entertaining, but not in a pathetic pitiful way, in an amazing euphoric way. Everything he did would play to my every emotion. Every word he said, was like a gentle caress, grazing my ear. This is what love is... isn't it? Loving everything about someone. Even the annoying stuff, like how he eats, with his lips slapping together, making that revolting sound. If he stopped, I'd miss it, because it's his little imperfections and quirks that make me love him. The fact he's comfortable enough to allow me to see him imperfections is all the more reason to love him! I know, in rambling and I'm sorry, I am, but he's just so handsome and... well, perfect. Imperfectly perfect to be exact.

After a while, kanekis was sound asleep in bed and I was sat at the table reading one of his books when my phone began ringing. I ran over to it, answering the call before it woke kaneki up.
"Hello?" I whispered.
"It's akira, could you go to the ghoul detention centre please."
"Why, has something happened?"
"One of the guards reported something so I just want you to check it out."
"Fine. I'll call you when there's nothing there." I hung up, grabbed kanekis car keys and walked to the car with my phone. "Paranoid people should not be employed as a nighttime security guard." I put my seat belt on angrily and drove to the detention centre. I parked my car and climbed out. I grabbed kanekis quinque out of the boot and smiled. It was a long sword like, razor sharp beauty. I kissed it and slammed the boot shut. I ran to the entrance and pressed the intercom.
"Hi, I was told to come and check things out here."
"Are you the investigator?" He asked nervously.
"Yes I am." I looked up at the camera and waved. "Lock the doors and if I'm not back I need minutes call the ccg and call a code red." I walked away with my quinque and began to cover the grounds, but my findings so far were inconclusive, just as I presumed. My phone began to ring so I answered It.
"You found anything?" Akira asked.
"No. Stop hiring paranoid people to guard the detention centre at night."
"He was scared he was informed of the possibilities-"
"-The possibilities! There is none. They'd never come here."
"You've seen the proof of how dedicated they are. Of course they'd come after one of their own."
"Well why'd he have to call in the big guns?"
"He didn't I did. He asked for help and I called you because you were close and this is your case. You wanted more tasks so here. Take them and stop whining."
"Well, it's all clear here so I'm going home."
"Thanks for checking it out."
"No problem, I wasn't doing anything-" I began to tell akira how boring my day had been, but there was an explosion at the side of the door, which blasted me a few metres into the air. I landed on my back, hitting my head on the ground. Being as close I as I was to the explosion, my ears were ringing and the side of my body was burning. I looked at my clothes and they had actually been burned, along with my skin, but I wasn't healing. I sat up and looked around for my phone and quinque. My phone was no where to be seen but my sword was beside me. I picked it up and looked around.
"So, we meet again."
I looked up and a tall man stood in front of me with a black rabbit mask.
"You're really here!" I said in shock.
"We'd never leave one of our own behind. Don't sound so surprised." He reached out towards me and pulled something out of my side. "Seems like that explosion did quite a number on you." He smiled and pulled his mask off. The hair and the sadistic but sexy eyes were an instant flag. It was Ayato, so I'm guessing Touka isn't too far behind.
"You're here for yasuna right?" I looked up at the camera nervously.
"We've had them disabled, don't worry." He began laughing so I held my sword out, handle first.
He took it, looking fairly puzzled and followed me to the building. I turned around so my back was against the wall and I nodded.
"What?" He asked.
"I need you to stab me and pin me against the wall."
"You want me to hurt you?"
"Yes. I need it to look like I couldn't have stopped you."
"You don't actually want to stop us?"
I shook my head. "You don't leave anybody and neither do I. Take her now and hide, because we'll find you."
He walked towards me so we were inches apart.
"Who are you?" He asked, his face blank.
"I'm someone that has an agenda, just like you. I need to keep up the facade because I'm helping somebody. Now shish-kebab me."
He put the tip of my knife against my skin.
"Thank you." He pushed the knife in, quickly and turned around.
"Hey!" I shouted weakly.
He turned back around and put his mask on.
"Tell the pixie I'm sorry."
"I will." He waved and ran away.