chapter 66

I stood outside of the detention centre after having set a bug on all of the cameras so they won't pick anything new up, giving me the all clear to go ahead and help soji out.
"Wow, you're actually here." Ayato said in shock.
"You're alone?" I looked around confused.
"Yeah. I'm the fastest so if you were setting us up, i could get out quickly."
"It's nice to know they have faith in me." I rolled my eyes and looked at the huge detention centre. I gave Ayato a suit from the locker room and turned around.
"What's this for?" He asked.
"Put it on and follow me inside."
"No way."
"Listen, I have a mission to do to tear these people apart from the inside, but in order to do that, if I'm seen by any of my colleagues, It needs to seem as though I was forced into letting him out. You have to trust me. Please." I looked up at him sadly and he nodded.
He put the suit on and we both walked inside.
My colleagues all greeted my cheerfully as I walked to the elevator with Ayato, trying to act as calm and collected as possible, but I was terrified. Not for the reasons you'd think, either. I mean yeah, I was scared of getting caught, but not for being arrested. I was scared of losing all my new friends. Nobody would feel the same way if they found out I was taiga. I'd also probably lose all of my old friends for lying to them and locking them up, but it was in their best interest. If i wasn't there, soji and yasuna would have been killed. Haise knew they were ghouls and a lot of other people would have too.
We got to sojiro's cell and I opened it up. He looked at me and smiled.
"Hello Ai. You come to ask me a few more questions?" He asked.
I shook my head and stepped aside. Ayato ran in and hugged his friend.
"What are you doing here?" He asked in shock.
"She snuck me in to get you out."
Ayato pointed at me and smiled.
"We don't have much time." I pulled my jacket off, along with my coat and bent down. "You need strength, so eat."
"I'm not going to take a bite out of you." Soji shook his head.
"You need to. If they catch wind of this, you need to get out as soon as possible and these cameras won't stay dead forever." I moved towards him with just my bra on and nodded.
He grabbed my and took a bite out of my shoulder.
He moved away so I tied my t-shirt around my wound and put my jacket over, zipping it up, so I was no longer exposed.
"Wait here." I stood up but Ayato grabbed me.
"So you can leave us here? I don't think so."
"You have to trust me." I held his hand tightly. "I am helping. I have gone through all of this trouble, let me do one more thing."
"Okay. Fine." He let go of me so I ran to another cell. I unlocked it and woke Hinami up.
"Taiga?" She whispered staring at me, half asleep.
"Ayato is here and you're going to go with him, okay? They're going to get you out of here and I'm on my way to the office to destroy everything."
"Wait? No more investigator?" She began smiling.
"No more. If kaneki doesn't come back with us, we've lost him for good."
She stood up and held the necklace that I gave her.
"I never took it off taiga." She smiled.
"Look, they think I'm called Ai, you have to call me that too. Until we sit them down and explain everything to them."
"Okay." She nodded and we both ran back to Ayato.
"Where did you-" He turned around and saw Hinami with me. "Hinami." He whispered staring at her in shock.
"Look, I'm all for reunions, but you have to leave, now." I looked at them and nodded. I handed them a piece of paper and smiled. "I drew a map. The red cross is where we are, and the star is where you have to go. The code to get through the exit door is 5 5 0 8. It's a fire exit that opens automatically when there is a fire, but needs a code when there isn't."
"You're not coming?" Hinami asked sadly.
"Not yet." I hugged her and pulled away. "Wow. You're as tall as me now."
"Yeah. I know." She smiled. I moved away and ran to the library. Not the kind of library you and I are accustomed to. This library had the electronic flies on everybody. Finally, this could just be over. I closed the door behind me and sat at the super computer.
"Okay." I whispered. I activated my kagune, ready to start shooting the place up with fire crystals when someone walked in.
"Ai, stop!" Haise shouted.
I turned around and stared at him.
"You told me you weren't one of them! You told me you hated them!"
"Well I don't, and neither should you kaneki!"
"Your name, it isn't Ai, is it?" He asked sadly.
"I think you've known that this entire time." I walked towards him but he pulled away.
"This was all a lie?"
"No!" I shouted. "I love you, I always have. I've had other boyfriend's but it's always been you. I was too immature to realise it."
"Saiko, ginshi, akira? You lied to all of us?"
"I had to. You have to believe that I had no choice. You had my niece locked up here and I had to get her out and destroy anything you had on her. I had to bring you back to us kaneki."
"Stop calling me that!" He screamed.
"But it's your name." I grabbed his arm. "Your name is kaneki ken. You have a best friend that you grew up with called hideyoshi nagachika. We all thought he was dead, you carried him through the snow, you grieved and you left, but he's alive and he needs you."
"Stop!" He pushed me away and shook his head. "My name is haise."
"They brain washed you! They don't care about you! They never have, but us? We do."
The door flew open and Ginshi stood beside Saiko and the rest of the quinx squad, ready to kill me.
"She's one of them?" Saiko asked sadly. "She was a friend. We have to kill our friend."
"Haise." I said staring at them.