Chapter 17

Run. I thought. Just run. My feet wouldnt move. I need to go. Hunter stood up shaking, and a couple other people from the library that were his friends stood up. Some ran. But his fellow buddies were heading to attack Nick. Come on! Go! I thought. My feet carried me to the door, and I ran out. I have no idea where I'm running, but I'm getting there fast. I could feel my feet aching from running in flats on a ceramic floor.
"Run, just run." I kept telling myself. I looked back. I could see through the window. Nick had a hold of hunter. By the neck. One of his other friends was hurled over the computers. And another on the table, sprawled out. What happened? What was he doing? Nicks head faced me. And the world went into slowmotion. I knew what I was looking into was Nicks eyes. They sent some kind of signal through my body telling me to look away. When I didn't listen, I felt a pain in my chest. Causing me to stop running. I held my heart. And told myself again not to look. I gained my strength again and ran outside the front doors. I was in the cool fall air. No sun, it was only cloudy. The trees were colors of autum. From inside the school, I heard heavy boots running, and a couple screams. Nicks message told me not to look. Whatever happened when our eyes met, made me obey. I didnt have the urge to look back any longer. I didnt have the nerve to see what was happening. So I didn't. I ran past the parking lot, where buses would soon be parked. I was off school property before I knew it.
"Thanks for listening." I almost screamed at the voice behind me. It was nick. How did he catch up so fast? How did he know this is where I ran?
"How did you get here so fast?!" I said panting.
"I ran."
"How? Do you do track or something?"
"No...Orca this isn't the greatest time, we need to go."
"I dont know how much longer I can run, and how do I know you aren't going to take me to some alley and slit my throat? I know what your capable of. I can tell you lift weights or something." he bit his lip when I said that.
"I promise, I wont hurt you. You can trust me."