Chapter 36

The week went slow. Really slow, he for sure didn't forget me. He kept his eye on me in the hall everytime I seen him. I gave him that friendly smile even though i knew his secret. I cant be around a killer. I cant keep pretending. I made a plan in my head.
"At lunch, sit next to him and tell him everything. He's really really easy to talk to, that would be the best way to handle this. Tell him that you just need to stay away from him for good."
My mind was set. At Lunch today I would be telling him about what I knew. I sat next to Lila and her friends in 3rd hour. Knowing nick was examining me like a science experiment. He watched me, squinting everynow and then. Clutching his pencil, and trying to grab my attention. It had been a week, it was a week since I told him we were going to be ok.
"What is he doing?" Lila asked.
"I dont know, Nicks been acting up lately." I said. I cant let her know that she was the reason I was avoiding him.
"He must really like you or something, he has not stopped looking at you." She said. For the first time today, I glanced over to him. His eyes were red, burning mine. I cant look away. The world is spinning. I feel numb. He's talking to me. Hes sending me something.
"Nira." a faint and bubbly voice calls.
"Orca." It repeats. Im shaking now...
"NIRA!" Im out of the trance and Lila is grasping my arm.
"Stop. Just don't look." I looked away, breathing heavily.
"Go To the bathroom, wash your face."
"Why?" I felt my cheeks and they were wet. Why was I crying? How long had I been looking at him? I stood up in sync with Nick. I darted for the door and power walked to the bathroom. There was only 3 minutes left in class. I sat in the last stall reading the most recent quote. Written in pink sharpie.
"The way you look doesnt matter to others, what matters is whats in the inside." I remember how it felt to have Nick digging inside my brain. Every now and then triggering something that made me look away. He's a drug. I hate him. But I need and love him so much.