Chapter 40

At lunch, I took Lila into the empty science room.
"What is it?" She asked in a loud whisper.
"I just need somebody to talk to..."
"Finally, my god it seems like you haven't said a word in months..."
"Maybe not, but I just need to figure things out. My brain is going to explode if I dont."
"Go ahead, we have as much time as you need..." She pulled a stool up and listened, all ears.
"Ok, its about nick. I just need to figure things out. Put things in order ok?"
"Ok." She smiled and put her hand on mine.
"Ok, first day of school....he was obsessive over me, following me, always staring, and I felt really uncomfortable. But after a while, we started talking and I sort of liked him. A lot. He made me feel some type away, safe, strong, brave, beautiful...we had been really good friends but for only a short period of time because theres-theres just something about him. He would look in my eyes and just stare, and make me change my mind. Like he was controling me. I tried to tell him but it was so hard, its not his fault. He stopped for a while, and I didn't notice him acting weird. And we were close. I just wanted a little bit of space. But, when you told me he-he killed his girlfriend, my mind went back to that unsafe feeling from the beginning, like he wanted to hurt me, and was buttering me up. He played these games with her. Ya know? I couldn't handle it. I was invited to his birthday, but not at his house, at the park with nobody else. And I spilled the beans. I told him I knew, I told him at I was afraid of him killing me. I miss him so much. What if you were wrong and he didnt do it? What if that rumor wasn't true and I betrayed my best friend by beliveing it?" I was wiping tears.
"Shh. It's going to be ok." She held me tight. Like nick did. My eyes opened and I was facing that dark doorway, when I first heard him talk to me. His deep and crisp voice. I weeped harder.
"What do I do?" I said. She pulled me away. And looked me in the eyes.
"Be honest. What do you want to do?"
"I want to see him. And, apologize. I probably said it in the meanest way possible Lila, its been 2 months and I haven't seen him. I think I love him." She nodded her head.
"Go and talk to him." The thought of seeing Nick made me excited and shaky at the same time.
"Really?"
"Well yeah! You cant just sit around thinking like this. You guys need to work it out, so you can return to normal, and he can come back to school." I nodded,
"How do I get a hold,of him?" I asked sniffing.
"Honestly, I'd ask Hunter." My heart dropped. Nick warned me to stay away from Hunter. That probably wasn't a good idea.
"Hunter would know nicks adress. It's a good idea. Just, please fix this. I hate to see you in pain." I nodded again.
"Ok."
"Ok." We walked out and I headed for the football field.