Chapter 43

I ran home and mom was there. I stopped in the doorway, my backpack nearly flying across the room.
"Mom!" She jumped and the chopsticks she was holding flew in the air.
"Honey! You're back early!"
"So are you?!" I had no idea she was here, she scared me.
"Did you run home?"
"Yes..."
"Why?" As I set my stuff down, I caught my breath.
"I wanted to see a friend, so I didn't want head there when it was dark."
"Oh where is it? Ill drive you."
"No thats fine, I want to walk. I-its a nice day out." She pursed her lips and looked outside. Cloudy. And about 50 degrees.
"Well, I like the clouds."
"Who is this friend?"
"Um SHE has been sick for the past couple weeks, so I was going to catch her up and try to make her feel better."
"Whats her name?"
"Um, Jennifer Doorkobb." I bit my tongue.
"Oh...ok, where does she live?" I looked down a my phone, I didnt recognize the road or the address. Now that I payed attention, I had no idea where I was going. Maybe I could take a cab. If mom knew I was going to a boys house, she might not let me go. Then a smart idea came up.
"Earth To Orca!"
"I lied." I bluntly said. Her eyes widened.
"Im actually going to visit a boy. His name is Nick, he has been sick the past few weeks and I'm his algebra study buddy and Mrs.Feller asked me today to catch him up." I took a breath.
"Well, ok. Id feel alot better if you would have told me that first, but ok. Where does he live?"
"Uhh." I read off the address.
"4710 Hurrington Road? (Address if fake, made up on spot)
"Really? All the way downtown?"
"I guess."
"You cant walk all that way, ill give you a ride, and you just call me when your ready to leave."
"Alright..."
"Gimme 10 minutes."