Chapter 23

They had been to the mayor's house, trying to find anything that could help find Henry or indicate where he was. Emma had checked his computer, while Killian and the Mayor were watching her go. The blonde had found something, leading to some credit card.

"He has a credit card?" she asked, just in case, but of course believed he did not.

"He's 10. No, he doesn't have one." the mayor replied.

"Then we'll find out who it belongs to." Emma declared.

After a while, she found out. Of course, it had to be her mother.

* * *

Regina was the first to enter the classroom and Emma stayed a little behind. She remembered coming there once, when she stayed with her mother for a few months, before leaving and never coming back. Killian glared at Emma and followed the mayor. Emma shook her head and entered as well. Her mother did not recognize her at first, she was too busy talking to Regina that was almost yelling at her. However, when the mayor turned around and made a pile of books fall on the floor before she walked away, Emma, Killian and Mary Margaret bent to take the books. Mary Margaret lifted her head to see her, her daughter. She did recognize her pretty fast.

"Emma?" she asked.

Emma looked up as well, she didn't really know how to react.

"Uh... hi." she responded as she got up and put the books on the table.

Mary Margaret could only look at her daughter. She couldn't believe it, after all those years, she was here again. Emma really did not know what to say either, which is why Killian spoke next.

"Do you have any idea where Henry could be?" he asked. The teacher shook her head and turned to him.

"His castle." she declared.

"His castle?" Emma asked.

"Oh, I should've thought of this one." Killian said.

"Why are you looking for Henry?" Mary Margaret then asked Emma. Her heart skipped a beat as she realized she had to announce her she was a grandmother, she has actually been for ten years.

"He... uh. I... I'm Henry's birth mother." Emma declared. After another few moments of silence. "Look, we... really need to find him. We could talk after, but-"

"It's alright. It was really nice seeing you again, Emma." she declared before her daughter and Killian walked away.

* * *

"You want to go talk to him?" Killian asked. They were standing next to Emma's car, watching Henry sitting on his castle.

"I'll try. I just... don't know him. I'm not his mother..." she answered.

"You are. As much as Mary Margaret is you mother. You two are a lot alike. I've seen that." he replied.

"Yeah." Emma sighted. She grabbed Henry's book tighter, the book he had forgotten in her car, and she walked over to him, sitting right next to him. "You left that in my car."

"Thanks." he simply said and took the book.

"What's going on kid?" she asked.

"My mom, she.. I hate it there. She's evil! She's not my mom, you are." he declared, which surprised her.

"Henry.. She's not evil. She is you mother and cares for you-"

"You don't know what it's like with her!" he replied.

"I know what it is to be adopted, I know how it is to feel alone. I've been in the foster system, never really had a family. You, Henry, you are lucky. You have a mother and she loves you, she takes care of you and she wants you to be happy." Emma told him. Her eyes had started to be teary, but she wiped it off, hoping Henry wouldn't notice. "I was never there for you. I wanted to give you your best chance and you got it, with your mother."

He looked at her without saying a word. He simply looked down and took her hand, a gesture that she didn't see coming.

"Can you stay? Just one week, that's all I ask."

"I- I don't know kid. C'mon, we should go. Your mom is really worried and Killian's waiting for us." she said.

"Killian?" he asked.

"Well, yes, Killian. W-what-"

"You already knew each other before, right?" he asked.

"We did. He's probably the closest thing I ever had to family. It's a complicated history." she explained.

"Wait, y-you're the one that ran away?" he asked.

"What do you mean?" Emma said, confused.

"I talk a lot with Killian and he once told me about a girl he loved when he was younger. She ran away, she had been in the foster system. He told me because that girl ran away here and that's why he decided to stay." Henry explained.

Emma froze for a second. She remembered that night, the gunshot, the running, Killian calling her name, how much it hurt.

"Let's go." she declared, standing up.

____

What do you guys think? :)
Sorry it was kinda long before I posted but I'm having busy weeks with the end of term.

believe__inmagic