Chapter Forty-Eight

Tris' POV

"Marlene, do you have any idea about where he may go?" After everyone got out of their cars, we headed upstairs and Four is currently bandaging me up while Uriah asks Marlene a couple questions. Her still shaking figure sits on the floor in the back of the room, but she's been answering to us, nevertheless.

"No, we weren't a social couple. He preferred to stay in and beat the shit out of me..."

Her words settle on the group like a thick blanket and for a moment, Uriah's fingers stop working on his keyboard and he glances back at her, his brown eyes upset.

"Tris?" Four whispers suddenly.

"What?" I sigh, looking into his eyes.

"I'm finished, and Will told me that your blood test results are back, do you want to go together to get them?" I think about it for a second, then shake my head.

"Would you actually mind going to get them? I need to question Marlene and I don't think it's best for a man to question her, because of everything she's been through, you know? I would have Chris do it but she still needs her psych eval."

"Yeah," he responds, nodding as he stands. "That's probably best, but I'll see you soon?" I stand also, closing the distance between us.

"You know it." I grab the collar of his shirt and pull him down to me before kissing him lightly and pulling away, just to tease him a little.

"Hey!" He exclaims as I walk away.

"That was payback for this morning." I explain, referring to his little white lie. He just pouts before walking out of the room to get the test results.

"Hey Uriah." I say, placing a hand on his shoulder and leaning in to see what he's got on one of his computer screens. "Is that his tracker location?" I question, pointing to a green blinking dot on the map displayed there.

"Yeah, Will's monitoring the same things on his screen, so I could head down there and see what it is with Zeke?"

"Yeah, go ahead and do that, I need to go question Marlene though." He nods and tells Will the plan. "Okay, Zeke said he'd be throwing knives so I'm going to go get him then we'll head out." He tells me, I nod and watch his retreating back.

"Wait! Uriah!" He turns back to me and I jog to him. "I'm not sure if you guys figuring it out from the blood on the floor in the garage, but I did have to shoot him, he was choking Marlene." Automatically, both of our eyes go to her and I see him wince at the sight of her already-bruised neck; the blackish streaks forming a hand against her browned skin. "He's definitely injured and also armed, so just be careful, okay?" He nods and takes one last look at Marlene.

"Tris?"

"Yeah?"

"We're gonna find this bastard." He grits out, his eyes blaze with hatred as he continues to stare at Marlene. "And when we do, make sure I don't kill him, he deserves to rot in prison."

~*~

After Uriah leaves, I tell Will that I'm leaving with Marlene to question her, just so he knows. He nods and gets back to his computer stuff but I turn back at the last second.

"Hey, where'd Chris go?" He doesn't look up from his screens, but answers as he types out something.

"Oh, she asked me to drop her off at home. Didn't want to just sit here and feel useless." I completely understand the feeling.

"Oh, okay. Thanks." He nods and I back away, looking straight at Marlene's huddled form on the floor. I approach her slowly, but she must hear my footsteps, because her head snaps up from resting on her knees and she glares fearfully. When she sees it's me her eyes soften and they begin tearing up when she sees the bandage on my arm.