Chapter Thirteen

I stare out the window trying to count cars, but they're all driving too fast. It's just a long line of blurred colors. The large buildings and skyscrapers look bleak and plain against the vibrant blue sky. Everything is thoroughly uninteresting.

A sharp pain stings my temples when we hit a dip in the road and I close my eyes, suddenly realizing just how heavy my head feels because of my wet hair. Four let me take a shower at his place, because the blood in my hair became un-ignorable. I snuggle further into the black oversized shirt that Four's letting me borrow, and the strong smell of cologne invades my nostrils. I sigh. Cologne smells freaking amazing. When I open my eyes again, a tall red brick building with black squares for windows comes into view. Near the top, the words 'California Hospital Medical Center' are painted white with the white first aid sign next to them.

A few minutes later, we are pulling into the parking lot when we hit a large, white speed bump. My head slams into the head rest and I groan. The throbbing increases and I feel my body break into a sweat.

"Sorry." Four says from beside me. I shake my head in response, (which earns yet another sharp pain in my temples) hopefully sending the message that it's okay. We go over one more speed bump, which I brace myself for so I don't hit my head again, before we pull into patient parking.

Four parks the car as close as he can, but we still have about a thirty yard walk. I hear his door open and close, but I don't make a move to open my door. The idea of even moving takes my breath away.

Eventually, Four opens the door for me and still I stay rooted in my seat. The continuous throb in my body reminds me of the time I squished my finger between two weights. My finger had its own little heartbeat for at least five hours.

The pounding in my head also isn't making the situation better. It makes me remember a movie I once saw where a detainee wouldn't quit banging on the glass of the room he was in. It's like that scene is just replaying, but my head is the glass. It freaking hurts.

Four bends down a little, coming face to face with me. My head shifts to the side and I'm once again hit with the intensity of his gaze. His blue eyes search my face for a minute and I just stay still, and silent.

"Come on, Tris." He says, offering me his hand and standing back up. I hesitantly take it, blinking hard when I feel butterflies invade my body. I shake my head slightly, not enough to worsen my headache, and the butterflies stop. I look up at Four before standing slowly, but it still sends me into a wave of dizziness. I stumble a little and find myself with my head buried in Four's chest as I take deep breaths. He awkwardly pats my back, and I stifle a small giggle. After a minute of recovery, I pick my head up and mumble, "Sorry." Surprisingly, he just wraps an arm around my waist to support me as we walk to the door. I feel a burning sensation start in my hip where he's touching me and can't help but heave a sigh.

"You alright?" He asks.

"Yeah, just a little dizzy." I reply, smiling at his concern. Maybe he isn't as bad as I thought.

~*~

Four's POV

"Come on, Tris." I say, offering her my hand. The girl looking back at me, takes my hand distrustfully, almost like she thinks I'm going to hurt her. She doesn't seem like Tris. I know that it's her, but the newly found tentativeness that came with her injury, plus the bruises and cuts that mark her body, make her seem different. I've only known her for a couple of days, but I feel like I'm connected to her, like I'm supposed to protect her. I've felt like that since the moment I read my name off the letter her mother left her.

Tobias Eaton.

The words were right in front of my face, yet I still can't believe it. I guess I should have been expecting it, because I knew Natalie, I was like a third kid to her.