Chapter One

Tris's POV

I sigh happily as I hear the engine of my car start, meaning that I got through another day of school... another day of hell.

Two more weeks, I tell myself, running a hand down my face and groaning. That sentence has become my mantra...and the only thing helping keep my sanity.

I like school, it's just that I have outgrown my fellow classmates and all the things we're 'learning' now, are things that my brother told me about six months ago. (He's a little bit of a nerd and always self-teaches himself the courses over the summer.) Hopefully, I don't need to explain why sitting in one of those cursed, plastic, torture chairs is complete and total misery for me.

I buckle my seat belt and pull out of the parking space, slowly weaving in and out of the multi-colored cars in the lot. Finally, I hit the road and and start driving towards my house.

The drive is peaceful and scenic as I drive through the suburbs of Chicago, enjoying the abandoned roads. Most people would think that if you're in Chicago there's nothing but tall buildings and cars everywhere you go, but the second you exit the actual city, it's actually really beautiful. After driving for about thirty minutes, I pull in to the driveway of our two story, red-brick house.

To my surprise, I see both of my parents' cars and my brother, Caleb's car, which is unusual. As Valedictorian of the Senior class, he usually stays at the library for a little while after school to study, even though he's way beyond the salutatorian, which is me.

I park my car at the end of the driveway and slip out easily, due to my small frame. I grab my bag out of the passenger seat and begin trekking up the slight slope to the front door. As I jog up the five stairs leading to the entryway, I grab the house key from my back pocket. When I twist the key in the lock and open the door, the first thing I notice is that all the lights are off and it is completely silent. If everyone is home, someone would be in the kitchen or in the living room and I would be able to hear somebody moving around.

Cautiously, I begin walking throughout the dark and silent house. I check all the rooms, aside from mine, but eventually, it's the only room left to check. I place my hand on the cold metal knob, turning slowly. When I swing the door open, I don't hear or see anything, then I turn the lights in.

"Surprise!!!" My family yells as they jump out of various hiding places. I jump a little, startled. My black and white room is covered in colorful balloons and confetti, reminding me of an ice cream sundae covered with sprinkles.

"Happy Birthday, Beatrice." My mom says as she pulls me into her embrace. Wow, I can't believe I forgot about that, I guess I'm officially 18 now. "Sorry if we scared you."

"You're fine." I sigh into her shoulder. My mother doesn't hug us very often. "Thank you." I say pulling away so my dad and brother can hug me as well.

"Feel any different?" My dad asks me as he wraps his arms around me.

"Honestly, no." I tell him laughing. His own deeper version joins in with mine, making a symphony that's rare. He pulls away and kisses my cheek before stepping back so my Caleb could approach me. A goofy smile overtakes his face, one that only comes out around me. My own smile becomes wider as he slings his arms over my shoulders.

"That's alright, I didn't either." Caleb whispers in my ear.

He and I are both Seniors this year. We are about ten months apart and that resulted us in being in the same class he's just one of the oldest and I'm one of the youngest. I was born on May 15, he was born on July 10.

"Well, darling, your father and I have an errand to run and your brother wants to go to the library. So, we want you to meet us at The Chicago Steakhouse at seven tonight, okay?" My mother asks, before adding, "Dress nice, preferably an actual dress." I groan internally, I hate dresses.