Chapter Seven

By the time I finish the letter, my heart is pounding rapidly and tears fill my eyes. I stand too quickly, jostling the desk. I blink furiously, begging myself not to cry in front of the guys, but my attempts are in vain. A tear drips silently down my cheek and I choke back a sob. I have to get out of here. I place my hands on the corners of the desk letting my head hang. Zeke said the training room is down a level. You can get there. My head snaps up and I start speed walking through the room, counting the steps until I'm out of the door.

"Tris, are you alright?" Zeke asks, looking at me concerned. Shit. I shake my head, letting my beanie fall off my head, dropping the crumpled letter and running out of the room. Tears stream down my cheeks, and I can hear the guys yelling for me, even Four. I keep running, following the signs that lead to the emergency stairwell.

I burst through the door, taking the steps two at a time, wiping my cheeks rapidly, and trying to dry the tears. A door marked 'Training Room' comes into view as I feel bile rising in my throat. I swing the door open, glad to find the room empty. I see a trash can to the right and immediately run to it, emptying my stomach. Vomit burns it's way up my throat, but it's a love tap compared to the aching confusion that courses through my body. How could someone want to ruin my family?

I crumple to the floor, sobbing. After a couple minutes, I crawl to a corner of the room, folding my arms over my legs and pushing my head between my knees. The sobs continue to come in waves as I let the pent up feelings of the last month free. I let out an ear piercing scream, feeling much calmer afterward.

After about five minutes, I hear three pairs of footsteps in the hallway, announcing the prescence of the guys. The door opens and Uriah whispers,

"Tris? Are you in here?"

"Over here." I reply, my voice muffled. All three guys look over at me, then all of a sudden, I'm surrounded by warm bodies and concerned looks. "You read it, didn't you?" I ask softly, monotone.

"Yeah... I'm sorry Tris, Not only for reading it but for everything else." Zeke speaks up.

"No, it's fine. I'm just being way over-emotional." I state and Four chuckles. I look at him weirdly.

"What? I've seen a girl get even more emotional about a movie. I think your response is pretty accurate, if not better than expected." He tells me, and I smile a little.

"Wow, that was the first thing that you said to me that was... not rude. We better get a camera out and make you say it again, that way we have it documented." A smile blooms on his face and he replies,

"Better not get used to it." I smile and wipe my eyes, knowing that my makeup must be hideous.

After I regain my composure, we all head back upstairs and I grab the pieces of the notebook paper, putting them back in the jewelry box. I'll send them to Max later as evidence. I grab the necklace and fasten it to my neck before stuffing everything in my backpack.

"So Tris, I know you might not feel like it, but do you want to go get something to eat with us?" I hear Four ask from behind me. My eyebrow shoots up and I turn to face him.

"You want me to come with you?" He smirks.

"I figure, I'm stuck with you; might as well make the best of it." I feel a slow smile spread across my face, I wasn't expecting that answer.

"Well, as tempting as it sounds, I'm gonna have to skip. I need to go to my apartment and unpack everything, plus I need to figure out what the hell I'm doing about the letter. Sorry...maybe some other time." He looks a little deflated, but I thinks he gets the reason I can't go tonight.