Chapter Four

*Three weeks later.*

"Beatrice Prior, I'm glad to announce you as an official FBI agent." Max smiles widely at me as he hands me a gun and a badge, and I find myself beaming right back at him. We are currently in his office with about five other trainees that are 'graduating' today.

Three weeks ago, the two best FBI agents ever known, my parents, were shot and killed. The FBI approached me, their only living child, and asked me to join their program. I, of course, said yes. We started training the next day, and I excelled in throwing knives and shooting a gun, but I was weak physically. So, I worked harder, staying up until midnight some nights just to lift weights or run a certain amount of miles. It worked, I got stronger and stronger, and soon, I was beating trainees that had been there for months in hand-to-hand combat. I outgrew the training plan that they had laid out for me, and in return for my hard work, I was graduating about a month early. The earliest trainee to graduate ever. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't proud. When I came here, I was a scrawny, upset, little girl, but even I could see a difference in myself. I was stronger, mentally and physically. My physical appearance is now more than a plain, small, modest girl: I am now a muscled, mature woman. While I'm still not pretty, I am definitely better-looking than I was. My mental state has also improved. After seeing your parents get killed, you find a way to deal with it... whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Cliche, I know.

"Thank you." I reply to Max, inspecting the badge that he hands to me.

"Make sure to come see me at 6 tonight. So we can discuss your relocation." I nod my head, thanking him again, then I go sit in one of the folding chairs that they set up, prior to the ceremony. I sit through the rest of the gathering, which pretty much includes Max reading off several more names, and a speech at the end, but the second he dismisses us, I run out of the room, eager to go work out for a little while.

~*~

"So, Tris, I have a list of cities that are able to take new agents, but it depends on whether you want to work in the Field or Intelligence. Which shall it be?" Max asks. It's 6:05 as of right now, and Max is conversing with me about where I want to transfer to.

"Field." I tell him. I made my mind up about that last week, Intelligence is too boring.

"Okay, I had a feeling you would say that," He smiles and hands me a paper with a list on it.

Washington D.C.

New York City, New York

Los Angeles, California

Houston, Texas

Detroit, Michigan

"All of these have an agent in need of a partner, so I can either get your answer right now or in the morning. Do you know where you want to go?"

Washington D.C. is out, I don't want to live there and look after the president or something. Boring.

New York City is New York City, who wants to live there? Plus, it gets cold, so it's also out. That's the one thing I've always hated about Chicago, it's cold weather.

I don't think I would mind LA too bad, I'd get a tan...

Texas has weird weather and it gets really hot and cold so it's out.

Detroit gets really, really cold so it's out...

I guess that means I'll be going to LA.

"Los Angeles, sir." I tell him, my voice strong and steady, not wavering at all. He looks a little shocked, I'm guessing that he thought I would want to go to D.C.