Chapter Fifty-Nine

Four's POV

"Hey Will? Have you seen Tris?" He glances back at me.

"Not in the flesh, but about twenty minutes ago, she came back in through the warehouse. Hold on, I think she's in you guys' office. Al, check the security cameras for their office." He demands. I stride over to Al and watch from behind his shoulder as he pulls up the footage.

"She's in there." He grunts quietly as the image pops up on the screen. She's sitting at her desk, talking on the phone with a wide smile on her face. Who's she talking to?

"Thanks man." I tell Al, clapping a hand on his shoulder as I walk out of the room. He doesn't respond, as usual. Al's kinda odd. He came about two months before Tris, and while we've tried to welcome him, he's never accepted any of our offers to hang out and has always kept to himself. We don't fight it.

When I finally get to our office, I hear Tris say goodbye to whoever she was talking to. She stands and leans over her desk, an awestruck expression painting her beautiful face. I could just stare at her forever.

"Hey." I greet her, a smile on my lips.

"Hi." She returns as she flashes me a happy smile. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Not long," I tell her as I approach her. "Who were you on the phone with?" I kiss her lightly and stare down at her, wanting to know who brought that smile into her face. Jealous.

"Max."

"What? Why?" I ask, immediately jumping to conclusions. Is she leaving? Did he reassign her?

"They sold everything like I had asked and he just wanted to let me know." The weight on my chest lessens.

"Oh, good. How much money did you get for it all?"  I question, knowing that their house had to be near a million.

"1.8 million dollars." she whispers, her teeth trapping her bottom lip.

"What?" I say, dumbfounded. Where'd all that money come from? Natalie always acted as though they were well off, but 1.8 million dollars is a little more than 'well off'.

"That's exactly what I said!" She exclaims, grabbing my forearms before loosening her grip and letting her hands drag down to mine.  "Apparently they were investing in something with a ton of money, but Max said they got it back and...I guess now I'm a millionaire."

"Tris...what the hell are you going to do with it?" I ask her, she could quit working if she wanted to. Then you would never see her. For a moment, I consider telling her that I won't let her not work, but I hold the comment back. She can do whatever she wants.

"Well I'm going to give most of it to charities, of course!" She shouts excitedly, a smile brighter than the sun overtaking her face. "Maybe find a way to start a program for children who lost their parents like me. Four, I'd rather have them back then have all the money in the world, but now that it feels like I do, in fact, have all the money in the world, I want to help people. I'll keep some in savings just in case, but God, the things I could do...I feel like I'm on top of the world." I grin down at her, suddenly overcome by a feeling I haven't felt since if last saw Natalie.

Love.

It warms me, from the inside out, so strong I can no longer deny it. I've been suppressing the feeling for a while now, fearing that I'd scare her away which is the last thing I want to do, but now, it's impossible to keep it to myself.