Unexpected Turn

Hiccup's P.O.V.

After dropping Heaven off at daycare, I drove to work. When I got there, I pulled the car into the parking lot and turned it off before getting out of the car and grabbing my bag. I shut the door and lock the car before walking towards the building.

Once I entered the building, I continued like I would every day. Used the elevator to get to the floor I work on and signed in before walking over to my desk to start my work. I check all the work emails I get and reply to them before checking some other things.

A few hours later, before I went off for my lunch break, my boss calls me to his office. I put whatever I was doing down and walks over to his office before knocking. I knock on his door and wait for him to say, "Come in."

"You wanted to see me?" I ask as I open the door to see him sitting in his desk.

He nods. "Yes, I did. Come take a seat."

I nod and walk over to take a seat across from him. "What did you want to see me about?" I ask.

"Well, as you know that we have been having a hard time with our sales lately and it's becoming hard to pay the whole staff." He folds his hands together over the desk. I nod slowly as I get a feeling of where this is going. "I'm sorry to say, but we have to let you go. We don't have enough money to pay you. I'll have to have you pack your things then head out. I'll mail you your last check this week."

"Wait, your firing me?" I ask, after hearing what he said.

He nods. "Yes, I'm sorry. But there's not much I can do."

I sigh in disbelief and nod. "Alright.... I'll get my stuff packed up and I'll head out of here." I get up slowly and walk out of his office. I sigh to myself and grab a box out of the storage room and bring it to my desk and start packing my things.

When I'm done, I take my things and sign out for the last time before heading down the elevator to my car. I put the box in the backseat and sit in the drivers seat. I sat there for a moment quietly before turning the car on and heading home.

As I'm driving, I think of Astrid and the bakery. I remember promising Heaven I'd get her some lemon bars as a treat. And it would probably be nice to talk to Astrid about what's going on since I can't tell Heaven. So, instead of driving home right away, I head towards the bakery.

I pull into the bakery a few minutes later and park the car. I take a deep breath before getting out and heading inside. The first thing I see when I walk in, is Astrid putting some treats in the pastry display. I smile and walk over to her at the counter.

"Hello!" I smile.

She lifts her head up as she puts the try in the display and smiles. "Hey! What are you doing here? Don't you have work?" She asks as she wipes her hands off and places them on the counter.

I shrug. "Well, I did. But I figured I'd come here before I go home." I smile a little bit as Astrid lifts her eyebrows at me a little, like she already knows what's going on.

"Okay, what's up? You work till 4 and it's lunch time. You usually have lunch at work. What's going on?" She asks.

I'm surprised I haven't even been here for 5 minutes and she has already figured out something was up. She's quite impressive, I think I love her a little more now. I sigh and look at her. "Alright, I'll tell you, but I don't want you to tell Heaven. I don't want her to worry."

She looks at me and nods. "Alright, I won't tell your daughter. Now tell me what's going on." She looks at me worried as she waits for me to answer.