A Day in the Hospital

Astrid's P.O.V.

I currently sit in the hospital room with Heaven and Hiccup. Hiccup sits on the bed and reads Heaven a story while I watch the two of them. Heaven smiles as she leans against her father's chest and helps him turn the page. Hiccup even tries his best to read the characters in different voices, which makes the little girl giggle.

It's been a couple of days since Hiccup got into his car accident. Heaven and I have been visiting every day so far. We come after class and end up staying until Heaven falls asleep. She's stayed at my place for the past few nights, allowing my mother to watch her. Though tonight, she'll be staying with her grandparents for a while, at least until Hiccup gets out of the hospital, which won't be for a few more days. He still needs to get fitted for a prosthetic for his missing left leg.

Hiccup knows about his missing leg. He found out within the first couple of hours of him being awake. I was surprised about how well he took it, but that might've been because his daughter was in the room. I've tried my best to give him support about it, but he refuses to talk about it. The only thing I can do is respect his wishes and keep him distracted with other things, though I'll make sure to talk about it with him later.

I watch Hiccup close the book once he's done and kiss the top of Heaven's head. She looks up to him with a smile and turns herself around to hug him. He smiles and returns the hug after placing the book on the side. I decide to take the opportunity to take my phone out and take a photo of the two of them. It's such an adorable moment that I feel needs to be captured.

After taking the photo, I take a look at it and scroll through the images on my phone. As I scroll through, I notice that I don't have a lot of pictures with Hiccup and Heaven together. I spend so much time with them and yet, I don't have tons of photos of the two of them. I'll have to try and change that later on.

"What are you doing m'lady?"

I look up at the sound of a handsome voice. I glance at Hiccup to see him watching me with curiosity. I smile and set my phone down. "I noticed I don't have a lot of pictures of you and your daughter. I was thinking about how I needed to get more."

He chuckles a bit. "You don't need photos of us, you see us every day."

"I know, but I like to have them when you two aren't around. Besides, I'd say the same to you about all the pictures you take of Heaven and me." I smirk.

A deep rumble escapes his chest as he turns back to his daughter. "The sight of you two together warms my heart. I want to make sure I can hold onto those memories."

I smile as I get up and walk over to his bed. I bring a hand up and run it through his hair as I kiss his forehead. "I'll always be here for the two of you, so you'll never lose those memories. You'll get to see them every day."

He looks up at me and plants a kiss on my lips. "Good, because I don't plan on letting you go."

Leaning forward, I gently wrap my arms around his shoulders and gently place my head atop his own. I smile as I look down to see Heaven staring up at us with a smile. I hold an arm out for her and watch as her smile widens. She gets up and hugs her father's neck. We both wrap an arm around her and stay in that position for quite a while. We don't break it until we hear a knock at the door.

I lift my head and pull away a little to see Hiccup's mother staring at us with a smile. She holds her phone in her hand, allowing me to realize she was able to catch a picture of our moment together.

"Oh, that is so sweet!" She smiles as she looks down at her phone. "I'm definitely going to save this one."

Hiccup and I chuckle as we loosen up our hold on the group hug. Heaven turns her attention over to her grandmother and smiles wide. "Gramma!" She squeals and gets off the bed to run to her.