Missed Target

Wind blew softly throughout the trees, though it was evident that it would only get stronger with the passing of time. Blue hair with green highlights moved in the breeze that hid the oncoming danger well. Heart rested his right hand on the hilt of his saber while his left hand was placed on his hip. His blue eyes scanned over the territory of the forest before landing on the approaching screamer. Its wisp-like body hovered over the grass covered floor while loud screams echoed throughout the trees. As long as Heart remained on the higher branches, he would be safe from the creature. Besides he had no time to deal with the screamer anyway. He needed to find you and currently he hoped he would find you in the Lindepia Woods, but he didn't know that he already missed Tipora and you. It was the fourth day of their searches, meaning that Tipora and you had left the woods two days ago.

Thus since Heart lacked this knowledge, he wondered through the woods on top of the branches, wanting to avoid all contact with the screamer. Amber light highlighted the worry that painted his facial features. His heeled shoes made a quiet clicking sound on the branches of the trees while he progressed through the woods. He longed to find you, but Fade's words from before rung through his head. Was limiting your contact with the outside world really the cause of this incident? Heart couldn't deny that his brother and he were harsh towards you at times, but that was part of their nature. They couldn't deny the cravings they had for entertainment; it was engrained into their minds. Even if Heart wanted to tone down his desire for the abnormal entertainment, he couldn't. Something in his mind wouldn't let him and he knew it was the same for his brother.

Heart had no remembrance of ever lacking the desire; it was always there. He couldn't quell the urge to see blood. If only you knew how much he held back. While Diamond would watch over you, he would go to the carnival and go on a fighting spree. This worked vice versa, though Diamond preferred the village over the carnival, since the ghosts there could never permanently be killed. You never knew of these events, since they would happen while you were asleep. Combing his right fingers through his hair, Heart exhaled a breath he didn't realize he was holding in. Part of him wanted to jump from the branches and attack the screamer, but the blasted thing couldn't be destroyed by sword or magic. It was a force to be reckoned with.

Now in the deepest part of the forest, Heart pressed onward, hoping to find you or at least some evidence of you being here. He was nearly at his breaking point, but he kept his anger at bay for the moment. An orange dragonfly flew past, its wings beating fast to keep it in the air. Another dragonfly went by Heart followed by a third. At first he wasn't too bothered by the flying creatures, but seeing more go past was greatly irritating. Every flap of their delicate wings he could hear and the sound was no music to his ears. Not being able to take it much longer, he jumped down from the branches, landing on the wooden bridge, which you had crossed a few days ago. Wood creaking under his feet, he scanned the area for any sign that someone else was here. Seeing nothing, he went past the bridge and continued through the forest.

Soon he came by the tree that Tipora and you had taken shelter in. To Heart it was like every other tree in the forest and he didn't stop to look inside the amber structure at the base of the tree. His shadow cast the opening of the structure in darkness, but also cast itself over the few crumbs that were left behind from the cracker that Tipora and you had shared. Heart may have looked inside the amber structure had his mind not been dowsed with frustration and concern. Every tree, every branch appeared as nothing more than a nuisance to him. They were preventing him from a clear view of the things. All of them seemed to mock him and his search for you. Lacking the ability to hold back his emotions any longer, he screamed before stabbing his sword into one of the many trees. Exhaustion tainted his mind and body, only fueling his outbreak more. Pulling out the sword, he stabbed the tree again while letting out another yell. If there were any animals nearby, they scurried off, fearful of the noise.

Removing the sword from the bark once more, Heart leaned his head against the trunk of the tree before resting his back against the same trunk. Sliding down it, he allowed his sword to lie at his side while his hands covered his face. After today, there would only be two more search days. Then if they hadn't found you, Heart would have to wait almost a month to see you again. He didn't want to wait that long, he couldn't be patient. Having no current perception of time, Heart remained sitting at the base of the tree with his hands covering his face.

                                                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diamond and Fade waited in the dining room for Heart to return, but when it was well past eleven in the evening, both knew something was wrong. Both knew where he went earlier that day; however Diamond insisted that Fade stay at the castle. It was easy to tell how tired the girl was and she had received less sleep than the brothers. Every night, despite her strong desire for sleep, ended in a few hours of rest. She was restless and angered for not knowing your exact location. Her mind reminded her of that, which affected her sleep greatly.

Fade stood up and shook her head, since she could tell that Diamond was exhausted as well. He merely placed his left hand on her right shoulder before pressing downwards and making her sit in her chair. Nothing in the Lindepia Woods could defeat his brother except for the screamer, but Heart was wise enough not to engage in a fight with that creature. Thus something else had to be wrong. He must have finally snapped. If Fade went with him, she may very well get unnecessarily injured.

After sending a warning look at Fade, Diamond exited the castle and headed for the woods in search of his brother. Fade reluctantly remained in her chair, understanding the gaze that Diamond sent her. It was clearly something he wanted her to stay out of. Perceiving that the brothers were just as tired as her, Fade figured that their patience was on teetering on the edge of a cliff. One wrong move and they could explode into a firestorm of emotions, which could mean two swords at her neck. It would be best to give them their space. Thus she leaned back into her cushioned chair and found herself drifting in and out of sleep due to the constant worries that plagued her mind. She wouldn't be surprised if she only received a few hours of sleep that night as well.

Hurrying through the trees, Diamond glanced right and left for his brother. He had left the castle in haste, meaning he had forgotten his red velvet tail-coat that had purple diamond-shaped buttons on it. This allowed him to feel the cold night air with greater ease and he couldn't help but shiver now and again. Soon he came to the bridge, stopping for a quick breath. His eyes darted around for any sign of his brother. Annoyed at seeing nothing, he went across the bridge and in the distance could see a figure sitting up against a tree. Letting out a relieved sigh, he walked over to his brother. Heart had his knees pulled up to his chest while the sleeves of his coat were scrunched up to his elbows.

Standing a few feet away from the blue-haired male, Diamond crouched down and reached out to touch his brother's knee. Instead of viewing the male's stained cheeks; Diamond felt a slight pain in his right shoulder. Glancing over, he saw a sword plunged through his flesh while blood began to drip from the wound and onto his red peasant shirt. Heart's right hand remained over his face, covering his eyes, as he gripped the handle of the saber. Seeing his brother's distressed state, Diamond rested his left hand on the blade currently in his shoulder before pulling it out with ease. More blood rolled down onto his shirt, but the red-headed male was more concerned about his twin.

As Heart's hand drooped to his side and his grip on the handle loosened, he looked up into the reddish-orange eyes of his brother. A small smile graced Diamond's lips before Heart found himself wrapping his arms tightly around his twin. The male rarely showed such a weak state and it pained Diamond to see his brother like this. Such an occurrence only happened three times before and the memories were vague. Wrapping his own arms around his brother, Diamond sat on the ground, getting into a more comfortable position.

"What would Miss ____ think if she saw you like this? Surely, your reputation would disappear".

"Right now, I don't care," the male muttered with a strained voice.

Smiling lightly at his brother's behavior, Diamond shook his head. The blue-haired male currently was acting like a child, who had a scraped knee and needed immediate comfort. Tears rolled down his cheeks, as he hid his face in his brother's shirt. Blood got into his blue hair, but he could care less. Diamond just sat in silence holding his brother while his shoulder wound slowly healed itself. Now he could better recall one of those three incidents. At first it was still vague, but the picture became clearer with more thought.

Both brothers were the age of five and had just left the circus, though escaped would be a better term. They were tired of being thrown around like ragdolls, when they would grow up to be stronger than any of the circus members. A week had passed since they ran away and both were trying to figure out how to survive. So far they had managed to find scraps of leftover food and a small makeshift shelter made out of cardboard. Heart became sick due to the drastic change in lifestyle. At the circus they have had a hard day's work, but they were provided with food and a comfortable place to sleep, so having little food and only cardboard was quite the difference.

Normally, if one of them got sick they recover within a day's time, but Heart's sickness was lasting well over a few days. Due to their living conditions, he couldn't heal properly. There was little Diamond could do for his brother and so he was left with the option of sneaking into the carnival where the circus was held. He knew where all the food was kept. Thus he snuck into the back and grabbed as much as he could before quietly making his way out. Luckily, he came when a show was being hosted, meaning little activity in the back of the tent. That was the first time he had stolen something, but he justified his action in that he was helping his brother. With a decent amount of food in his stomach Heart appeared to get better, though Diamond had to keep stealing, so that his brother could continue to keep recovering.

On the fourth day of Diamond's thievery, he was caught. He barely made it out of the carnival and due to the chase was only able to carry back a few apples. Large cuts went across his small back due to the whip that was lashed out at him, as he ran. His red hair clung to his face, as sweat dripped down his brow. His wounds would make a full recovery, but when his brother saw the marks, Heart burst into tears. Diamond wasn't expecting such a reaction, but held his brother to his chest, reassuring him that he would be alright.

Recalling this event was strange, since Diamond usually pushed most of his childhood memories to the back of his mind. Glancing down at his brother's form, his eyes narrowed considerably. Tipora would pay for causing his brother such pain and for making him remember such memories.