Enter the Dungeon

Heart never actually pulled away from you after he thanked you, but rather picked you up bridal style and carried you over to one of the soft patches of flowers in the forest. He laid you on the ground before he took a seat next to you. His brother joined the two of you. Frankly, you weren't surprised when Heart wrapped his arms around your waist and brought you closer to him, permitting you to utilize his upper arm region as a pillow. Diamond secured his arms around your waist as well, causing your back to rest against his chest, while he rested his face in the crook of your neck. Their grip on you was tight, but wasn't uncomfortable; in fact it was more gentle than usual, which brought a small smile to your lips. Moreover, you slipped into unconsciousness rather quickly. It might have been due to the glowing pale blue, purple, and yellow flowers, or it could have been the cause of the brothers' warmth; you weren't sure, but at the moment you were at peace. You had managed to save your friend from the brothers' wrath while witnessing the rare sight of their more caring nature.

When you awoke in the morning, you found yourself leaning back against soft fabric while the sight of peach-colored feathers greeted your (e/c) eyes. You were confused at first, but you soon realized that the birds were already flying to the dungeon entrance. At the moment, you were riding on the same bird as Heart, who currently had his right arm around your waist while his left one held onto the bird's neck, preventing you two from falling off of the bird. Moreover, his pack rested on his back. He smiled down at you, seeing that you were awake, and explained that they wanted to allow you some more rest. Furthermore, he mentioned that they hadn't caught sight of any of the elites on their way out of the forest. Just nodding in reply, you let out a quiet yawn before blinking the rest of your sleepiness away.

It wasn't long before the four of you flew towards the ground. The birds landed on a soft patch of the pale gold grass, permitting you four to climb off of their backs. Once off the birds, they laid in the grass close to the city walls, so as to lessen the chance of being seen by any guards. Currently, you didn't notice any guards keeping watch on this side of the city. Then again you understood why after examining the wall. A shield, almost invisible to the eye, covered the stone wall. Wisps of fast moving air spun themselves over the surface of the stone. If anyone were to touch it, they would be sliced into pieces. Oddly though, you did see a strange light towards the top of the wall. From your viewpoint however, you couldn't really determine what the source of the light was. Hopefully, it was just one of the castle torches that had been forgotten.

As you examined the tall wall, you became puzzled. You saw no entrance whatsoever into the castle dungeons. Hands on your hips, you scanned the stone once more, but ended up with the same result, beginning to wonder if you should've taken another way in. Fade merely shook her head lightly at your perplexed state and walked up to the stone wall.

Instead of placing her hand on the wind covered wall, she knelt down and began pulling at the pale gold grass. Not having any choice but to watch her, you waited for her to find what she was looking for. Your eyes quickly darted to the wall in front of Fade though, when you saw some of the stones moving aside and the wind shield over that area disappear. A small entrance greeted your curious eyes, revealing an unlit tunnel behind them. Wondering how Fade managed to open the secret entrance, you glanced to where she was kneeling. With her hands now on her lap, you saw a small crossbow symbol carved into the ground. Its golden color allowed it to blend into the grass. Thus only one with knowledge of the symbol could easily find it in the sea of grass. Thanking Fade's good memory, you followed after her into the tunnel. After the brothers entered the tunnel as well, the wall closed behind you four, sealing you in. There was a lever on your side though, giving you easy access to the fields outside the city.

Feeling relieved by this, you began to wonder how you would ever see in this dark tunnel. Luckily, your unvoiced question was quickly answered by a faint red and orange glow. Small glass lanterns sparked to life, giving off the pale light.

"Fade, I've been meaning to ask. How are these lights coming to life and I was curious about the ones in the stairwell that led to the forest? Did the previous Queen of Spades place a spell on this location as well as that one?" you asked, staring up at the simple lanterns.

"Yes, she put a light spell on them that would keep even if she died. I never understood how she was able to accomplish such a spell, but then again there was much I didn't learn about my mentor. She sadly didn't live that long."

Sensing that Fade wanted to move away from the topic of her deceased friend and teacher, you nodded and trailed on after the petite girl. Heart walked next to you on your left and Diamond on your right. All four of you were quiet and you all made sure to walk as silently as possible, which was proving somewhat difficult due to the stone path; your boots were clicking quite noticeably against the ground. Getting annoyed at the sound, you halted your movement and went to go take them off, but you were swept off the ground instead. You nearly yelled in surprise before you saw Diamond smiling gently down at you.

With a light blush on your cheeks, you whispered, "Diamond, you can set me down. I'll be fine without my shoes."

"I'm not having you walk on this dust ridden ground with just socks, or bare feet. You could slip easily due to the slight dampness of this tunnel," he voiced quietly back.

Knowing he was going to take no argument on the matter, you merely sighed and crossed your arms over your chest; however you wondered why their boots were clicking on the ground. Looking down at Diamond's feet, you noticed that his boots were gone and he had on only socks. Heart was the same. When had they taken off their shoes and put them in their packs?

"What about you? Won't you slip?"

"Miss ____, thank you for your concern, but I shall be fine."

Rolling your eyes at his comment, glancing forward and trying to keep your tinted cheeks away from the male, you relaxed in his arms. His smile widened ever so slightly before he quietly chuckled at your adorable attempt to conceal your blushing face. You rolled your eyes once again, as the four of you continued down the tunnel.

Several more minutes elapsed until you four were met by a stone wall. This time there was a clear way to move the stones. A lever lay on the left side of the passage. Before Fade pulled the device, she pressed herself up against the wall. You knew she was trying to listen for footsteps on the other side. At first you were skeptical that her attempt would work, but when she breathed a sigh of relief, you knew that she had succeeded in determining that there was no one on the other side of the wall. After she pulled the lever, you were thankful that you were cautious of your boots clicking against the stone ground, for the stones that moved were incredibly thin; no wonder Fade could listen for footsteps through the wall.

Once you had all entered the dungeon, Fade traced a halberd symbol with her finger next to the now open entrance. Having completed the tracing, the stones went back into place and you were thankful for their quiet moving nature. Since the crossbow symbol was representative of her mentor's weapon, you could only assume that the halberd symbol depicted Umelius's king's weapon. Keeping note of that detail, you glanced around you and noticed that there were three path options. All maintained the same beige, brown and dark brown stones while countless torches highlighted the halls. Empty cells could be seen here and there while only dust and cobwebs occupied their interiors. Hearing tiny footsteps to your left, you knew that straight or right would be your best option.

Fade spared no time in going straight with the brothers following her. You were of course following her as well, but you were still in the arms of Diamond. Behind you the footsteps only increased, but luckily the four of you turned the corner just in time. Many steps proceeded to walk in the opposite direction of you four. Breathing a sigh of relief, you saw Fade taking a right. Going left, then right, then straight, then right and then left, you wondered how large the dungeon was. It seemed like a maze and you could hear some guards chatting among themselves while others were extremely quiet. The quiet ones made it all the more hard to navigate.

Sadly, the movement of you four had to stop for awhile, as the Equ army marched by. If it weren't for the various pillars and walls in the dungeon, they would've easily seen you four. You never actually saw the tiny horses, but just hearing their hooves clashing against the stone told you enough. When their steps grew distant, the four of you continued on your way. It wasn't smooth sailing though, for guards almost spotted the four of you on several occasions, but once again the many walls and pillars hided your position.

You found yourself gripping Diamond's red and white vertical striped jacket, when you saw a guard turn your way. There was nowhere to hide, due to the current hall being straight with no turns or pillars. His head was currently down, as he rubbed his chin in a thinking manner. A stainless steel battle axe rested on his back while his armor clinked with his every step. Metal helmet covering most of his head, you couldn't decipher much of his features. Only brown eyes could be seen in the light of the torches; they were still gazing downwards. How he had not noticed you four was beyond you, but you were grateful for it, but your luck wouldn't last long. There would be no way around this guard without a fight, and all of you knew this.