Into the Night

Bewildered, you remained silent, thinking you were imagining things. Did he really just ask that? It was like being hit with a tidal wave before being thrown into the water below. The lights seemed to disappear into the background while only Rollta stayed in your field of vision. Would he actually let you go? If so, why would he permit such a thing? He seemed loyal to his master, yet here he was asking you a most surprising question. Your mouth hung open slightly, as you could only stutter; the cogs in your mind working at full force, trying to piece this puzzle together.

"Wh ... at? I don't understand. Are you toying with me? Do you actually mean you'll let me escape?" you finally uttered, still flabbergasted.

"Yes, just say the words and I'll make sure you get away."

"Why? Rollta this doesn't make sense."

"Does it need to make sense? I'm presenting you with freedom, so accept it."

What was going on? This was so strange. Did he have some ulterior motive, or was this out of pure kindness? Searching his eyes, you were still left confused. Why couldn't you accept his generous offer right then and there; what were you having trouble with? When he grasped your hands in his, you watched him with growing suspicion and puzzlement.

Smiling gently, he continued to say, "Please, just take my offer _____. You let me realize my freedom, so let me give you yours."

Struggling to produce words, you glanced at his hands that were clasped around yours. Was that what this was? It couldn't be, could it? Staring back up at his mint-green eyes, you saw only happiness there. You knew however that there was another emotion there as well; he couldn't hide such a thing from you in this present situation. He wasn't forcing anything on you; he was pushing back his own feelings for you. It was odd to witness this, as the brothers were the exact opposite.

"Alright, I'll take your proposal," you replied, smiling in return at the male.

Nodding in response, he took your left hand in his right one and led you back to the campsite. At first you were confused, but he explained that you needed your queen's weapons. You had almost forgotten them, since the prospect of escaping overtook your mind. Once the two of you reached the campsite, you waited a few feet away while Rollta carefully approached Tipora. You still couldn't believe that Rollta was letting you go; it seemed too unreal.

Slowly, Rollta crouched in front of the sleeping Tipora, who didn't suspect a thing. Never would she have guessed that Rollta would betray their master, for the price of such an action was quite high. With care, he grabbed the hem of her dress and lifted it up, revealing the daggers around her waist. Due to her being in a deep sleep, she didn't notice a thing. Gently and quietly, he unlatched the belt holding the daggers from her before removing them from her person completely. Setting the daggers on the ground, he pulled her dress back down before picking the belt holding the daggers back up.

Walking over to you, he held them out for you to take. They called out for you to grasp them and you happily complied. Strapping the belt to your waist, you smiled lightly; glad to have your weapons back. Looking over at the sleeping child, you were tempted to end her life for good. Rollta followed your gaze and noticed how your hands hovered over the daggers.

"There's no need to kill her. I will let you escape, but that's crossing the line. I may not like her, but she's still my companion."

Casting your gaze back to the male, you sighed and responded, "Fine, though I hope you have a plan to keep her off of our tail."

Internally smiling at your use of the word 'our', he just signaled for you to follow him. It would be best not linger, lest Tipora awake and discover you with your weapons around your waist. Walking through the spectacle of lights that filled the grove, you found yourself constantly looking behind you to see if Tipora had awoken yet. Thankfully, no sign of her presented itself. Furthermore, you were thankful for Rollta's fast pace.

On the way out of the grove, your shoulder brushed one of the trees and the light burst into cascades of floating flowers. A purple one fell in front of you before turning into more tiny orbs of sparkling beauty. It was almost like you were traveling through a field of gems with all of the lights falling onto the ground with grace and elegance before becoming splashes of light. Up ahead though, you could see rays of moonlight passing through the mass of light and dark blue clouds. It was when you reached this point that Rollta stopped and turned towards you.

"What's wrong? Why did you stop?"

Allowing a sorrowful smile to grace his lips, he announced, "You misunderstand me. You're escaping on your own _____. From here on you're on your own. As for me, I'll be leading Tipora in the opposite direction. It will delay her and give you a good head start."

You froze, taking in what he said. So that was his plan. It did make sense, but you had a horrible feeling in your stomach. Once discovered that he let you escape, he could very well die. His kind act didn't deserve such repayment. He may have been your kidnapper, but you did have your fun moments with him. Helping him annoy Tipora was always a lovely pastime when you walked the long roads.

"I can't let you do that. Surely, you understand the consequences of your decision better than I."

"Indeed, I do. That's why I think it best to lead Tipora astray. Now when you get past the cloud cover, you'll end up in a canyon. Take a left and keep going. If you go right, you'll run into a dead end."

"So you're really not going to come with me?"

"No, tell me ____, do you really think I can stay by your side? Do you really think that my place is beside you? Tell me, what were you thinking about before I asked if you would like to escape?"

These questions rang in your ears. He was right. If he were to stay with you, what would the brothers do? You could explain to them that you only thought of him as friend, but that would only make things awkward for Rollta. For him to remain in the castle while the brothers displayed their affection for you would certainly cause some friction. It was clear that he had feelings for you, but you couldn't return them. Sharing his pained smile, you went over to him and placed the palm of your left hand on his right cheek. This contact caused him to freeze and he watched you carefully. Before he could react any further, you kissed him lightly on the forehead before pulling away.

Once your hand was draped back at your side, you stated in a sincere voice, "Thank you, Rollta, you truly are a dear friend."

After those words escaped your lips, you turned and vanished into the cloud filled air. Rollta kept a smile on his face despite the fact that he now knew you only considered him a friend. You didn't have to answer his questions for him to understand; you thought of someone else during that display of lights, though you really were thinking of two certain individuals. He knew that such a relationship wouldn't have been possible; however he was happy with just the memory of you. Personally, he didn't know if he would see you again, or if he would live long enough for that to happen. Turning, he went back to the camp where Tipora lay; he would now have to carry out his plan.

As for you, you bolted into the unknown, knowing that you only had so long before Rollta would have to set his plan into action. Your feet pounded against the rocky floor, propelling yourself forward. The moonlight was becoming more prevalent, illuminating your surroundings better while the number of mesmerizing trees decreased in quantity. Soon the clouds completely vanished along with the trees. You were out of the grove and now stood in a large canyon covered in grass. Rocks jutted out here and there while some formed arches. Taking the path on the left, you heard wings flapping nearby. Obviously, your presence had disturbed the local wildlife and not a moment later you saw a bird flying overhead. It landed on one of the higher rocks, making itself comfortable for the night.

Ten minutes passed and you realized something that would be vital. While you traveled with Rollta and Tipora, you never had any packs, meaning that you always found your food and water on the way. Now that you weren't with them where would you get such nourishment? You really didn't want to resort to eating the grass at your feet. Why hadn't you thought of this sooner? Cursing yourself, you were glad you were free at least. Once you were a good distance away, you would find a solution to this problem, for there was no way you were going back there, though you hoped that Rollta would be okay.

Hopefully, you would get to back to the castle soon; however you were headed in the opposite direction of the castle. It was the only way though due to the dead end on the other path. Thus the extra time you would have to wait would be fine if it meant that you could get away from Tipora. You wouldn't waste the opportunity given to you and so you pressed on; you had enough of exploration and were ready to return home.