Vine around the Sunset

Her petite fingers gripped the simple metal chain. Clutching the item tightly, she pulled it from the strap that was around her left shoulder. Life burst into the weapon, as green metal vines wrapped around her hand and the chain. The biddledal was blinded by the light reflecting off of the chain. Taking this moment to her advantage, she wrapped it around the creature's neck, permitting the metal to tighten around the being. Air was soon blocked from the creature, causing it to pull back from Fade. With the chain still secured around the biddledal's neck, Fade stood up and gripped the chain harder. With one mighty tug, she strangled the creature further, as its sharp claws tried to remove the weapon.

Both brothers stopped in their tracks, when they saw her queen's weapon in its full-glory. They always utilized their king's weapons, so they were used to seeing the power illuminating from them. When they gazed upon the glowing vine-wrapped chain, they were amazed. Never had their mentor utilized the weapon, but Fade would never say why. With another tug on the chain, the small girl tossed the creature into the air with the chain still wrapped around its neck. A loud snapping sound was heard before the creature fell to the floor limp.

Releasing the weapon from the biddledal's neck, Fade secured the chain back to the strap on her shoulder. Covering it once more with her cloak, she floated ahead of the brothers, who merely gave her shocked expressions. They called after her to wait up, but she wouldn't let them see the droplets of water that ran slowly down her face. For so long she had avoided the use of it, yet why was she forced to use it now? Did she have to utilize it? Realization struck her, as her face paled. Of course, why hadn't she thought of that? She could have easily dispatched the creature with a burst of energy. Why had she forgotten? Out of her panic, she broke a promise she made to herself and there was no way to repair it; the act was already committed. Her stupidity had ended a promise that lasted several centuries.

The brothers glanced at each other as they followed behind Fade, confused on her current behavior. Why did she look so tormented to use her weapon? Diamond couldn't comprehend it, yet did it relate to that friend she mentioned before? He knew he wouldn't find out anytime soon, for she kept her secrets just like he did. Heart merely crossed his arms and shook his head, not understanding his past mentor's actions. They had only begun their journey last night and already things were unraveling in unexpected ways.

Golden scenery surrounded the three travelers, as each proceeded with a heavy step. Such beauty contradicted the individuals. They saw no beauty in front of them, only miles and miles of land that kept torturing them. Silence echoed across the fields while a rabbit finally made itself known, sensing the danger of the biddledal gone. Its small brown eyes watched the three, curious as to whom the newcomers were. Almost no one walked these fields anymore; no one plucked the delicious fruits from the bushes, allowing the rabbits to thrive. These rabbits of course had to be cautious of the few biddledal that lurked in several places. Thus seeing people, the rabbit became perplexed before it hopped away, leaving the daylight hours to pass.

                                                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You had only received several hours of sleep last night, since the stone ground and wall weren't the most comfortable. Over the course of the presumed evening hours, you had tossed and turned, trying to get somewhat comfortable. When you awoke, your limbs were slightly sore and you hoped that your next evening would be more pleasant. Once everyone had awoken, Tipora took the lead as usual while Rollta walked a little ways behind you.

Hours passed before there was any change in the scenery. Instead of the stone walls with tree roots jutting out of them, bright green vines began to cover the stone. These vines bore no flowers or fruit, but it was nice to see a lively color in this place. Water still dripped from the ceiling and onto the floor, forming the common puddles. You were just thankful that there were no more walls of water like last time. Only now were you beginning to dry off, since the damp air slowed the process. Rollta and Tipora were in a similar situation, yet they seemed less mindful of it. Maybe you were just more sensitive to the cold than them.

Your attention drew itself back to Tipora, when you noticed her pace increasing. Not wanting her to yell at you, or criticize you, for it was annoying to listen to, you kept up with the shorter girl. Her grey eyes shone brightly, as a smile played at her lips. Frankly, you were rather confused by this sudden change in her personality. One would think that her master was just around the corner. Glancing over your left shoulder, you looked at Rollta to see if he knew what was happening. He just shrugged his shoulders while the pastel-colored girl began to bounce with delight. It was rather bewildering, though you thought she would stop soon.

This was quite the wrong assumption, as she never halted her cheery persona. An hour had probably gone by and she still seemed to dance across the stone. Were the vines affecting her, though that didn't make much sense, since Rollta and you were fine? The only effect you were feeling was the soreness of your legs. Such a pace was exhausting after awhile, yet she took no notice of you; it would be shocking if she did.

"Tipora, slow down, you're wearing both ____ and me out. You've been going on like this for an hour now," Rollta huffed behind you.

Evidently, he was more exhausted than you. A small smile tugged at the corners of your mouth at seeing his exhausted state. It served him right for all the perverted comments he would make. Moreover, it gave you a slight sense of power.

"Oh Rollta, stop your whining. Don't you hear it? Don't you hear that beautiful tune? Our master is playing his music and it only grows louder as we move on. It's so lovely," she mused, almost in a trance-like state.

"You can hear it better than me Tipora, so at the moment I only hear my tired breath. Just calm down Tipora, our master plays for two hours at a time. We'll most likely be out of here in thirty minutes if we slow down our pace, so you'll still be able to hear it".

She rolled her eyes and huffed in irritation before complying with his request. After sending a glare in your direction, she turned around and reduced her pace. It wasn't like you asked her to slow down, but you were thankful for Rollta reasoning with her. Your legs were grateful for the decreased pace, but you couldn't help wonder about this song. What were they talking about and how could Tipora hear it? It had only five days since you met Rollta, so you couldn't be at your kidnappers' home already. Maybe it was some ability of their master's. You wondered what Tipora was hearing though? How beautiful was this tune? There would be no surprise if she were exaggerating, since it concerned her master, yet you now found yourself listening for the sound. Nothing greeted your ears except for your footsteps, your breathing and the sound of the dripping water.

With each minute that vanished, you found yourself focusing more and more despite the fact that Rollta said it would be another thirty minutes. Suddenly, your (e/c) eyes gazed upon a stairwell that led upwards. You nearly jumped for joy, when you saw those stairs. Finally, you would be out of this accursed tunnel; however Tipora reached the stairs before you, seeming just as excited. Following her up the stairs, you saw a latched door in the distance, as a faint tune hit your ears. You couldn't hear it that well due to the metal door.

Since Tipora lacked common courtesy, she closed the door behind her. Reaching your hand towards the latch, you gripped and pushed it. Slowly, the door opened, letting in beams of sunlight. You squinted, not used to the bright light. Shielding your eyes, with your left hand, you proceeded out of the tunnel. Rollta trailed behind you, closing the door after he exited. With him standing a few feet away from you, you widened your eyes at the sight before you.

Wind swept over the green grass that you now stood upon. At the moment, you were standing on top of a hill, or rather a mountain to be more exact. Clouds tinted in hues of bronze, gold, purple, pink and grey painted the sky while the setting sun highlighted everything. Currently, you couldn't see too far below, since clouds hovered around the base of the mountain, preventing your view of the fields beyond. You weren't too concerned about this, for the view of the colored clouds was more than you could ask for. It absolutely took your breath away, though in the background you heard the faint notes of a song being played on a harp.

Enchanting yet melancholy notes hit your ears with delicate care. It fit the scene before you perfectly. The sunset mesmerized you, though you knew you were now one step closer to your kidnapper's home. Gazing out at the sunset, you listened to the song more, utterly captivated. A scene of coming across something treasured appeared before your eyes. Mystical colors and beams of light danced with every string that was struck. Any viewer would watch with an unfaltering gaze, not wanting to ruin the scene before them. Slowly, they take a step forward, trying to gain a better perspective on the treasured item. They reach it carefully, receiving just a touch of its beauty and intrigue, before it vanishes from sight. Sorrow captures the watcher and only memories of the magnificent view manifest before their eyes.

No wonder Tipora enjoyed this song. You could even tell that Rollta listened to the notes with care, not letting a single one escape him. Such a moment in time you wouldn't forget. If only you had Fade here with you; you even hoped that the brothers could be enjoying this with you now. There was no doubt that this song was both majestic and forlorn.