Spade and Clover

Fade and the brothers gave you skeptical glances, clearing not buying your excuse, but what were you supposed to say? You didn't even know what this light being was and you were starting to wish that you hadn't encountered it. Maybe then the four of you would've made out of the dungeon by now and on your way to Umelius.

"Look, I'll show you the way out of this room if you promise me something," the being said, as she semi-stood next to you.

It was strange seeing them attempt to walk, but instead just float across the floor. From your perspective, it appeared like they wanted to walk and not float, as though they were annoyed by hovering in the air.

Keeping your eyes on your companions, who were giving you worried glances, you mumbled in an inaudible voice, "What do you want me to do?"

"Promise me that after you open the other door in this room that you'll close it after your companions and stay here with me for awhile. I have something important to discuss with you and I'm sure you don't want to seem crazy by talking to something they can't see. Then again it seems that they're already concerned for your mental health".

"Fine, I promise, but this better be important, though, I don't even know why I trust you," you whispered.

Noticing a small smile spread across her indecipherable face, you watched as she floated over to another stone in the room and pointed. Going over to that particular stone you pressed it, as another opening made itself evident in the wall. You merely signaled the brothers and Fade to go on ahead. They did so, but they kept giving you puzzled and concerned expressions. Once they crossed the threshold, you pressed the stone again, cutting them off from you. You could hear their protests, but you had made a promise; you only hoped that this promise wasn't your demise. Turning over to the light being, you saw her seemingly breathe out a sigh of relief.

"Thank you. Please forgive me if I was rude to you earlier, but the situation you were in was quite pressing. Now you may want to know why I wanted you to keep my presence unknown and send your friends on ahead. Well you see I didn't want Fade to grieve anymore; I didn't want her to stay fixed on someone who died three hundred and eighty years ago."

Now it made sense, why hadn't you seen it before? The vague characteristics of this being and the fact that only you could see her pointed to one evident fact; she was most certainly the spirit of the late Queen of Spades. Now that she had declared that she knew Fade and her date of death, there was no doubt about her identity.

"So, you're Fade's mentor then? Well it's nice to meet you and all, but how can I exactly see you and shouldn't you let Fade decide that?"

"As for you first question, you can see me because you're an ace. Back when I was alive, I met with Clarencia, or the Queen of Diamonds in order to discuss the other card members that used to live in this world. I was curious about them and in those conversations I learned of the aces. Furthermore, while I stayed at her home on several instances I did some on-the-side research as well. I discovered that they could travel across worlds, but I also learned that they could see spirits. Due to their ability to go between worlds, and essentially manipulate dimensions, they are somehow granted the ability to see those who exist between two plains as well.

"At the moment, I'm both alive and dead. I'm alive in the sense that I can still wander around in this world, but I'm dead in the sense that I have no body and no one is supposed to see me; I'm a spirit, or ghost if you would prefer. I know it doesn't make the most sense, but I'm just explaining what I read in that text."

"Wait, why haven't I seen other ghosts then in this world? Surely, there must be more than you".

"Actually, I highly doubt that there is, for you see ghosts are an oddity in this world; something that isn't supposed to exist. I exist because of something I did when I was alive, but I'll explain that later. Now onto your second question, Fade must move on. I'm part of her past not her present or future. You may be able to see me, but she cannot, and that may very well tear her apart emotionally. It may be selfish of me to deny her such knowledge, but such knowledge will only burden her."

"Isn't that her decision to decide whether it will burden her or not? I believe she would be ecstatic to find that you're still here. She considers you to be one of her greatest friends."

"Tell me Queen of Clovers, how many times have you seen Fade use her queen's weapon?"

"Well just today, but I've only known her for a little over a year. Then again, I guess she never did utilize it when we were fighting Chroma."

"Precisely, knowing Fade she didn't want to ruin the title of Queen of Spades. She probably thought she would disappoint the memory of me, especially after Umelius threw her out of the castle when I died; I still can't believe he did that. Regardless, she now uses her weapon. Her mere memory of me was holding her back and now she has overcome that. I don't want to hold her back again. She needs to live and utilize the title I gave her. I'm dead; the title means little to me now and serves me no purpose."

"Alright, I promise I won't tell her. I guess knowing that someone is standing next to you, but also knowing that you can't ever see them, or make contact with them would drive someone to madness. Fade probably would grieve more, knowing her. Though, you mentioned you wanted to discuss something with me. I'm sure my questions have dragged you from your true purpose for long enough."

"Not at all, it's nice to be able to converse with someone after three hundred and eight years. Onto the favor that I must ask of you though, I want you to not kill Umelius. I know this request must sound foolish, since he has grown obsessed with killing the other kings and queens in this world except for his step-brother, but if there is a way I ask you to grant me this request."

"If he died, though, wouldn't you be able to move on? He's the reason you're a ghost, right? It's because you want to keep a watch on your husband? Besides, if he dies, he'll be able to see you again. Wouldn't you prefer that?"

"I would not wish death upon my husband, Queen of Clovers. Besides I'm not a ghost for that reason. Like I mentioned before ghosts are uncommon and shouldn't exist in this world. I'm only a ghost because I went through the bonding ritual with my husband. You see, the bonding ritual is a symbolic act that represents a couple's commitment to each other. It symbolizes that one partner should never leave the other; however, I only discovered how literal that statement was after I died. Until Umelius dies, I will forever remain in this state, but I refuse to be selfish and wish death upon him."

"If that is the case why aren't there more ghosts? You said it's uncommon, but surely not all couples die at the same time."

"True, but then again few proceed with the ritual. Most die from it, since it involves one of the partners striking the other with their magic. Of course, the individual who is being hit has a shield, or piece of armor to protect them, but most of the time that isn't even enough. Essentially, the partners are also showing that there is symbolic balance in the relationship. Most don't wish to risk death for a mere symbol. Part of the reason Umelius and I survived was because we both have light magic; we shared that similarity and it helped keep us alive during the ceremony."

"To go to such lengths to prove your devotion to the other, don't you find that extreme?"

"Wouldn't you risk your life for the one you care most about?"

"Yes, but wouldn't you go back in time knowing the consequences of surviving the ceremony? Surely, it must be painful to see your husband in his current state."

Giving you a soft smile, when she heard your reply, she responded, "Indeed, it is. It's incredibly painful knowing that he can't see me, that I can't comfort him. It's heart wrenching when he calls out for me, yet I can't answer him. It hurts when he plays the harp for me, and I can't explain to him how beautiful it sounds."

She stopped and you could see her fists clench, as she shook slightly. You weren't certain, but you believed that you saw a few tears fall from her eyes. Frankly, it wasn't hard to see how much she cared for her husband; it was almost painful to watch. Moreover, your mind couldn't help but drift to the brothers. Would you go through such a ceremony with them? Would you submit yourself to such a potential fate?

"On the other hand, it has given me the opportunity to keep him alive, to prevent him from going down a path that he wouldn't be able to return from. Please, if you can spare his life for me that would mean the world to me. I only have the power to affect the physical aspect of this world once, but that wouldn't be enough to stop him. So please, don't kill him if you can help it."

"I can't promise anything, but I will do my best to save him for you."