Grey Running

Quickly, you swallowed the sweet red berry while your legs froze in place. At first the shadow creature just formed a pool on the grass covered ground, as more of it dripped into the puddle. Rollta took notice of the expression on your face and hesitantly glanced behind him. He jumped in surprise at seeing the thing on the ground. A few feet away from the creature rested a chewed up purple bouncy ball. Saliva covered its surface and pieces of it were missing. Seeing his possession ruined Rollta frowned, but continued to back away from the being, which slowly began to take on a shape.

The shadow like material started to stand with its new found legs before arms and a head formed. Taking on the image of a person, it glanced between the three of you, observing its prey. Its faceless head cocked left and right, as if trying to remove a kink in its neck. Rollta now stood next to you and grabbed your left wrist with his right hand. Normally, you would protest, but with that creature so close to you, you decided against it. Tipora moved to the front of you two and lifted her umbrella into the air, allowing it to disappear into the clouds. She swiftly pulled it back and opened it. Droplets of water fell through the device before she pointed the tip of the umbrella towards the shadow.

Keeping its faceless gaze on her, it watched as she twirled it in her fingers before stabbing the tip into the ground. To your shock a wall of water shot towards the shadow, though the being seemed disinterested. It stood its ground and awaited the attack. You hoped that the attack would work, but this feeling was in vain, for the water went right through the shadow. Annoyed, Tipora closed her weapon and sighed. After another exhale left her lips, she turned and ran. Rollta on the other hand released his grip on you and removed an object from of his jacket pockets, revealing an orange to be in his hand.

Raising your eyebrow at this, you watched as he took out his sword-pen as well, though this time he thrice-clicked it. This enlarged the sword-pen, bringing it to the size of a full-length sword. Throwing the orange into the air, he lifted the sword-pen upwards before swinging and hitting the orange. It hurtled towards the shadow before bursting into a large quantity of orange colored mist. The smell of citrus filled the air while a sizzling sound could be heard, for the citric acid in the orange was powerful enough to burn the air. Grabbing your wrist once more, Rollta ran for it, almost dragging you behind him. Up ahead you could see Tipora running as well.

Curiosity getting the best of you, you turned around to see if any damage was done to the shadow. As it walked out of the orange mist, you saw smoke coming from it, but otherwise it remained unharmed. It reminded you of the shadow things back from the forest you first entered when you came to this world, though just without the claws. Thank goodness it didn't have claws, for that would only make this situation all the more worse. Moving one leg and then another, it disappeared before reappearing closer to you. This method of moving disturbed you more than anything and you felt fear slowly beginning to prick at your skin before seeping into your blood stream. In this moment of weakness, you gripped at Rollta's hand. The male was taken aback by this action, but seeing the terror in your (e/c) eyes understood the contact.

Both of your feet pounded against the floor of the earth, propelling yourselves forward, wanting to create as much distance as possible between the creature and you. It continued to transport itself across the valley like some creature in a horror video game. Your heart beat rapidly in your chest and your breath grew ragged. Neither of your kidnappers' attacks worked on the creature and you wished you had your queen's weapon, which left you to wonder where it was exactly. Beforehand it had been in Tipora's pack, but she no longer had one with her. What happened to it? Casting your gaze on the petite girl, you saw the shape of something hiding under the fabric of her dress around her waist. So that's where your daggers rested. You knew that they wouldn't hand them over to you at anytime, for even in this situation such an action would be foolish. Once you had your hands on your daggers, you could easily escape from these two, though removing them from Tipora would be no easy task.

Glancing back once more at the creature, you focused your attention back to the pressing matter at hand, getting away from this thing. It never halted its movement for even a moment, as it always seemed right behind you. Luckily, you were just out of its reach. What didn't make sense though was why it decided to attack only after Rollta threw the bouncy ball into the clouds. Why didn't it do so when you had stuck your fingers in the clouds? Did it react to only lifeless objects? That wouldn't make sense though, since it was now chasing the three of you. You were anything but lifeless, though that might change soon.

Why would it react only to the bouncy ball though? What was so interesting about the object to the creature? Temptation seizing you, you looked back once more at it, seeing it still chasing the three of you. Its shadowy form blended in so well with the dull coloration of the valley, yet you could still pick it out from the scenery, for its odd movement gave it away. How could you stop this creature? Thinking back to the bouncy ball, a light went off in your head. Of course, why hadn't you seen it before? The ball was purple; it was the only thing in the clouds that varied in color. This meant that the creature was chasing after you three because of your different colored clothing. Moreover, this meant that it didn't react to your fingers because it wouldn't react to skin tones; only colorful hues.

Still running, you voiced this opinion to Rollta and Tipora, who looked at you with doubtful expressions. Rollta appeared less skeptical than the pastel-colored girl. Pushing this doubt away, you asked them to just trust you on this, since there was little they could do in this circumstance. Tipora merely rolled her eyes and continued on sprinting forward. Deciding to give your theory a chance, Rollta removed another bouncy ball from his pocket, but this one was bright red. Throwing it behind the two of you, you both witnessed the creature halt its movement. Staring down at the red object, it picked it up, intrigued by the brightly colored ball. Tossing it into its mouth, it chewed and chewed until it spit it out dissatisfied. It wanted something with meat on it. Thus it darted its faceless expression back over to Rollta and you.

Cursing, you two still ran, but at least you proved your theory. Rollta smiled down at you before trying to think of a way to lessen the color on each of you. There was an obvious way, but frankly he wanted to avoid such an option. Besides, he knew that you would be utterly against it. You had a similar thought cross your mind and you blushed lightly in embarrassment at the thought. It was definitely not going to happen, however nothing else came to mind. If there was mud around, you could roll in that, but only grass surrounded you three. What could you do? Finally, something came to mind.

"Rollta, does that sword-pen of yours actually have ink in it?" you questioned in exhaustion and desperation.

"Yes, but why ..." he stopped, knowing what you were implying, and continued, "Got it, though I doubt there will enough to cover all three of us unless ...".

Reaching into some of his pockets, he sighed in relief and held three more sword- pens in his hands along with the one that he had utilized previously. A smile decorated his face before he removed his hand from yours and thrice-clicked the pens, turning them into full-fledged swords. Handing three over to you, you saw him uncap the first one, revealing a tube full of ink inside. Taking back the three from you, he handed you the uncapped one and signaled for you to dump the contents on yourself. Nodding, you stopped and closed your eyes before dumping the ink on yourself.

Feeling the thick liquid cover your body, you wiped away the portion on your eyes and widened them at the seeing the shadow now standing in front of you. Remembering that your eyes had color to them, you closed them once more and stood completely still. The shadow walked around you, curious as to why its prey had turned into shadow. It reached its right hand out and rested it on your left arm before retracting it. Ink dripped from its hand, but the ink still covered your dress where it just touched you. Confused, it took a couple steps back from you and glanced over at Rollta and Tipora, who were now both covered in ink as well. Thinking that it lost its prey the creature slowly crawled back into the clouds, greatly disappointed at the loss of food.

After waiting a few more minutes, you finally opened your eyes and saw the thing gone. Collapsing to the ground out of relief, you regained your breath and felt your heartbeat slow down back to its normal pace. Resting the palms of your hands on your knees, you heard multiple footsteps approaching you. Tipora seemed annoyed, but somehow grateful. She mumbled a 'thank you' before turning back around and walking ahead of Rollta and you once more. At least she showed some gratitude. Rollta held his hand out for you to take. Exhausted, you decided to clasp your right hand around his left one, allowing him to pull you back up. He smiled gratefully at you before releasing his hand from yours. Nodding your head in reply, you walked next to him, placing your hands in the dress pockets.

No one dared to put anything in the clouds again, for fear of the situation repeating itself. Who knew what else lurked in there. The only reason you felt remotely safe at the moment was due to the ink that covered your person. You wished to be back on the hilltop, looking out at the majestic sunset, yet here you were in a deathtrap that prohibited color, lest one attract the attention of that wretched creature. It could very well be resting just above your head, waiting for something colorful to catch its invisible eyes.

Now having knowledge of the threat that waited in the clouds, no one even spoke. Loud noise could attract something else, for the dull valley held more to it than met the eye. Its greeting sunset attracted travelers into its hold where only danger awaited. Like their master's song, it drew those in towards it, captivating and ensnaring them. They would realize the danger too late, yet in your case you were already aware of that danger; you just didn't know the extent of it. That was information that you had to find out before you reached their master's stronghold. Then again you never planned on getting there, for escape was your plan, though would that even be possible? You didn't know, but it wouldn't hurt to try in the future, though timing would be everything.