Why Don't You Speak?

Edited 07/11/19

Third Person
"So, how long has it been since you've spoken?" Rick sat across from y/n at one of the cafeteria tables, laying down his gun cleaning kit.

The dry-erase marker cap squeaked as she pulled it off, scribbling the number twelve.

"Days? Months?"

Years

"That's an awful long time. You were... four?" Rick's eyebrows raised as he looked back down at his revolver.

He and the others thought y/n was a very nice young lady, but they also thought it was quite odd for her not to talk. Rick had asked why, but she ran off crying when he did.

"Dad, who's this?" Carl had been listening to them from around the corner, waiting for a name or at least a word. He ignored his father's gaze as he eyed the girl.

"y/n, meet my son, Carl. Carl, y/n." Rick looked between the two, feeling slightly disgusted at the way they couldn't look away from each other. "Why don't you give her a tour of the place?"

"Yeah, come on," Carl said, rolling his eyes. He couldn't wrap his head around the fact that they were taking in new people when they couldn't even feed all of the people they were sheltering right now.

"That was the cafeteria, this is cellblock A, and through that door is how we get outside. Those places will be the only part of the prison you'll be allowed to go in." Carl pushed the curtain across the top of his cell to the side, then took a seat on his bed. "Go ahead and unpack your things in here. There's no other empty cells, so Dad will probably have you take my top bunk."

He rested his hands on his knees, intertwining them as he stared at the floor. He waited for her to unpack, or move, or say something. "Cat got your tongue?"

"Then what is it?" The taunting tone faded from his voice as he stood. For every step he took toward her, she took a step back. The dance only came to a stop when y/n's back was against the cool cement wall.

He slowly leaned closer to her, lips just shy of touching. His breath tickled her lips. With his voice just shy of a whisper and a hesitation between each word, "Why. Don't. You. Speak?"

A scoffed sigh fell from y/n's parted lips as her heavy eyes moved from Carl's lips to his eyes. Her blinks seemed to take twice as long, and her lungs had failed her.

He shook his head, running his hand through the hair behind y/n's ear as he cupped her face. He gently pulled her lips to his as his eyes.

With a clouded mind and scratchy voice, y/n broke her twelve year streak. "Wow."

"Yeah, there's no way you two are sharing a cell together." Rick pulled back the curtain he was peeking around.

Carl and y/n jumped away from each other, flushed and grinning.