Imagine 35

(Y/N)'s P.O.V.
"Happy Birthday, Kid," Daryl says, rubbing my head. I smile up at him, dunking to get away from his hand.

"Thanks. Have you seen Carl?"

"Last time I seen 'em, he was out in the yard," Daryl shrugs, walking off. I nod, walking towards the door. A soft breeze hits me as I step outside, making me smile. The breeze has always been my favorite thing about spring. Well, the flowers are nice too.

"(Y/N)!" Beth yells, throwing up a hand to wave me over to where her and Carl stand. I smile, starting to walk across the prison yard. When I get close, Carl tackles me to the ground in a hug. The fall hurt my hip a bit, but I laugh it off.

"Happy Birthday!" Carl smiles, straddling my hips. "You're seventeen now, do you know what that means?"

"No, I don't," I admit, but I only have to wait a second to figure it out.

"Seventeen seconds of tickles!" He yells, his fingers scurrying to find my tickle spot. When he figures out my neck is my greatest weakness, he stays on that spot for what feels like forever.

"Stop!" I manage to laugh out, but Carl doesn't stop. He just smiles, continuing to tickle my neck. Right before I stop breathing, he rolls off of me. I straddle him, playfully hitting him in the chest a couple times.

"Jerk!" I laugh, and he laughs too. I stand up, pulling him up with me. He then pulls me into a real hug, wrapping his arms around my neck.

"Happy Birthday," He says, placing his chin on my head.

"Thanks," I mumble into his chest. We stay like that for another moment before he takes a step back, looking me up and down. He smiles, and then walks back to Beth. I take a moment to smile at the ground before turning back to them. When I do turn to face them, Beth has a present in her hands.

"You are too much," I grin, Beth handing me her present. I sit down at the picnic table, starting to unwrap it.

"That's what friends are for," She smiles. I pull off the last layer of wrapping, a gasp slipping from my mouth when I realize what it is.

It's a framed photo of my mother and I.

"Where'd you get this?" I ask, running my hand over my mother's face.

We're facing each other, playing cards in the cafeteria. That was the last game I played with her before she got bit.

"Glenn took it. He gave it to me when I was talking about your birthday."

"Thank you so much," I sit the frame down, standing to give her a hug. She laughs into my hair, and I laugh too. I sit back down, watching Beth and Carl sit across from me.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get anything from Carl, but I can't be greedy. Beth's present is enough for me.

"So, how has your birthday gone so far?" Beth asks.

"Well, it's been a pretty sweet day overall. I got to go on a run with Maggie and Glenn to pick something out, so that was pretty cool. That's what took up most of my day. I got a couple of new books." I say, watching Beth roll her eyes.

"You're such a nerd," She chuckles. I glance over at Carl, but he just continues to stare out in the distance. I turn my attention back to Beth, putting on a fake smile.

Carl's actions are really eating at me. Besides when I first walked down here, he's not said a word to me.

"I'm going to go take a walk, I'll see you guys later," I say, grabbing the picture and walking off.

"See ya!" Beth calls after me. I throw up a hand to wave without turning back to face her. When I get out of eyesight, I plop down on the grass to watch the sunset.

"Hey," Carl says, sitting down beside me.

"Hey," I sigh, picking at the grass.

"(Y/N)," Carl says, grabbing my chin and turning it to face him. "I love you."

"Well, I mean I love you too Carl. You've always been my best friend-"

"No, (Y/N), I love you. I love you, love you," He says, his thumb caressing my cheek.

"I love you too," I say, watching his expression soften into a smile. His hand fumbles in his pocket for a moment before pulling out a bracelet.

"I know you don't like necklaces, so I thought a bracelet would be better," He says, unchaining it. I hold out my arm, and he carefully chains it on my wrist. I lean over to hug him, and he hugs me back.

"(Y/N)?" Carl whispers in my ear.

"Yeah?"

"That's not the only present you're getting today."

"What?"

"Meet me in the watchtower at ten."

•••
Ew ew ew

I hate this chapter lol. I wasn't going to post it, but I figured it was better than nothing. It's been like eight days since my last update.

I wasn't sure how to end this, so I just kind of went with it.