クローザー - Closer

"Now that everyone is here, let's begin tonight's meeting."

The task force gasped in amazement as the conference room familiar to Temari and Matsuda lit up the giant screen in front of them. Whoever Ryuzaki had hired to install the security cameras and wire taps had done an excellent job. The quality of the video seemed to surpass HD and not a cough was to be missed. But there was one thing that struck the girl as abnormal.

"There are supposed to be eight of them." Light remarked, putting Temari's exact thoughts to mind, "But only seven are present."

"They probably killed one of their members." Ryuzaki replied and took a sip of his coffee.

The rest of the task force members simply nodded. They knew that had to be the truth.

"In order to further the growth of the Yotsuba Group and to serve its financial interests, who should we kill next?"

That's it! They've found Kira! If the whole meeting is recorded than there will definitely be enough evidence to convict them. Maybe they can even make the arrest tonight. Finally the case will be solved and everything will be okay.

"I think we should focus on ELF insurance." One of the men said, "If they expand into the Japanese market, Yotsuba and many other companies will lose valuable clients to them."

The bald man named Ooi, the angry man that yelled at Matsuda and Temari, nodded, "All right. Any objections to killing these people from ELF with accidental deaths?"

"No objections."

"Is this for real?" Light exclaimed, "How can they do this so easily?"

"Another potential candidate is Sentaro Zenzai; a member of the Kugisawa Group." Ooi continued, "He's been protesting Yotsuba's resort development plans. Zenzai is known to have high blood pressure so we can designate a time for him to suffer a stroke resulting in a natural death. Any objections?"

The same monotonous response as before came from the rest of the people in the room. Shivers ran up Temari's spine. They did it so little thought. Killing people to them was just like a game of Shogi. The more people they killed, the closer they got to their goal, to winning the game.

"Kira, deaths by accident, by disease, designated times of deaths, it's all just as we suspected! We were right!" Light grinned and stood up.

Ryuzaki, who had been carefully staking sugar cubes on his spoon, shook his head, "No. Unfortunately, we can only be completely sure after those people they've named are dead. We will continue to monitor these meetings and take note of what they say, how they act, and, most importantly, whether the people they choose actually die. If we can confirm the connection between their plans and the deaths, then we'll definitely be able to catch Kira."

"RYUZAKI!!!"

Startled by the noise, the messy haired man jolted his spoon, causing all the sugar to drop back into the bowl with a light clink. "What is it? There's no need to yell in unison." Ryuzaki started to slowly pick up his fallen sugar.

"I can't just carry on knowing that these people will die!" Light argued, "It's immoral!"

Chief Yagami nodded, "That's right. It's obvious that these seven men are behind the killings. With Matsuda and Temari's testimonies and this footage we've recorded, we have all the evidence we need."

Ryuzaki sighed, "You're making this difficult. If we were to take action now, everything we've done will have gone to waste."

"So what would you say we take care of the ELF in three weeks and, as for Zenzai, we'll ask Kira to kill him this weekend?" Ooi asked the group, turning the police officer's attention back to the screen.