再生 - Rebirth

The seven task force members sat in silence and stared at the object in the middle of the table, waiting for someone to break the ice and pick up the slim black notebook. Ryuzaki stacked small plastic containers of coffee creamer on top of eachother. He wasn't afraid of it like the rest were, he just preferred to listen and think than read for the other members. Temari's eyes darted anxiously around the room. She wanted to be the one to read it but, being the youngest, she was afraid of seeming too naïve. Finally, Aizawa sighed and picked up the notebook.

He looked in the front cover, "Death Note: How to use. The human whose name is written in this notebook shall die."

A quiet gasp was heard around the room. This really was a notebook of death.

"This note will not take effect unless the writer has a person's face in their mind when writing his or her name." Aizawa continued reading, "Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected. If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the person's name, it will happen. If the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of a heart attack. After writing the cause of death, details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds."

"What! Is that really true, Aizawa?" Matsuda exclaimed and peeked over the taller man's shoulders.

Aizawa shrugged, "I guess so. It says it right here." He flipped the notebook to the back, "There are two more rules on the back cover. If you make this note unusable by tearing it up or burning it, all the humans who have touched the note until then will die."

Light smiled. He remembered the night in the forest when he asked Ryuk to write in the two fake rules. Ryuk had personally thought the whole thing was hilarious, so he obliged and written them in. Now Light's memories of the notebook would be guaranteed and he would be cleared of all suspicion. He knew that the task force would know better than to question to rules and regulations of a supernatural notebook.

"Now there's this last rule: If the person using the note fails to consecutively write names of people to be killed within 13 days of each other, then the user will die."

"If that's true, that means Light and Misamisa are cleared!" Matsuda cheered.

"Yeah, that's true. " Aizawa agreed, "Light and Misa were detained for more than 50 days and are still under surveillance. If either of them had been Kira, there is no way they would still be alive by now."

Ryuzaki flicked his coffee creamer tower, causing it to collapse, "Rem? That's your name, isn't it? That white thing over there?"

"What do you want?" Rem responded. It was then that Temari decided that she didn't like Rem. She certainly was less friendly than Ryuk.

"There's more than one notebook in the human world, isn't there?" Ryuzaki asked, looking directly into the yellow orbs of the shinigami.

"Who knows." Rem answered in the same monotone, "Maybe there is, maybe there isn't."

Ryuzaki started to rebuild his tower, "If there were other notebooks, would they all have the same rules as this one?"

"Yes they would."

The black haired man nodded and turned to Light, "You and Misa will no longer be under surveillance. I apologize for all the trouble I've caused."

"It's okay." Light said, "But would it be okay if a still continued to work on the investigation with you? Without the handcuffs, of course."

Ryuzaki nodded, "Yes. Temari, could you please help Misa pack her things?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------