機会 - Opportunity

"How could you just leave her there?!" Matsuda angrily shouted into the phone, "Temari is a member of the task force and you just abandoned her in the hands of the enemy! She could be dead by now!"

"They told me that their boss, whose name we now know is Mello, specifically requested that Temari was to stay with them." Chief Yagami explained calmly, "If I didn't agree to the trade they would shoot her right then and there. The only thing I could do was get Sayu out."

Light placed his hand on Matsuda's shoulder, "I know it's hard, but try not to get angry with him. He didn't have a choice. It was either take Sayu out alive or watch as Temari was killed."

"I need to breathe." Matsuda mumbled and collapsed back onto the couch, leaving the phone with Light.

"You did the right thing, Dad." Light assured his father, "Making sure that Sayu got out safely was took priority since she doesn't know how to handle herself in dangerous situations. Temari can think her way out of this, she'll be okay. How is Sayu doing?"

Chief Yagami exhaled, "She's doing alright. We've moved her into the rehabilitation center outside the city. She'll receive the support she needs there. However, she's still wheelchair-bound and hasn't said anything yet. The psychologist said that she's just temporarily shut down from the shock and should at least start moving on her own soon."

"That's good. So you'll be returning soon?"

"Yes." The chief answered, "I'll be back in three days. Please tell Matsuda that I am very sorry that I couldn't rescue Temari. I'll do everything in my power to get her back."

Light hung up the phone turned to Matsuda, who was sitting with his head in his hands. Matsuda breathed noisily, in through is nose, out through his mouth, to help his anger subside. Finally he lifted his head up and stopped the trembling of his fists.

"Tell the chief that I accept his apology." Matsuda said, "And tell him that I have one of my own. I'm sorry for yelling at him like that. He's having a hard enough time already. I'm just really worried about Temari."

"Temari isn't a novice anymore. She can make plans and decisions on her own." Aizawa replied.

Light nodded, "I agree with Aizawa. Temari has grown up a lot, she's not an easily impressed little kid anymore. She wouldn't just leave herself at the enemy's hideout for no reason. She has a plan, I know she does."

"I guess so." Matsuda mumbled, "But L entrusted me to make sure she was safe. He cared for her a lot, you know? If Temari died I would feel responsible. I would have let down L and Saya. I don't think I could live with that kind of guilt."

"I found more information on Mello and Wammy's House." Ide announced, "It's not a normal orphanage, it's like a school for gifted children. But here's the weird part: Its real purpose is to groom these kids so one of them could become the new L." He slid a few sketches towards the rest of the members, "We couldn't find photographs so all we have are these sketches. Apparently the one most likely to succeed L is this kid called Near."

Light placed his fingers to his chin, "Near? Could that be N?"

"Sounds about right." Aizawa responded, "We also found some leads on the guy named Mello that N mentioned. He's smart too, but he always came second to Near."

"There is no mistake, Near he has to be N. He's the one commanding the SPK. As for Mello, he would have wanted to become L's successor, but he probably lost out to Near. That gives him a motive for wanting to get his hands on the notebook first. It all adds up perfectly. This guy is definitely the same Mello that N told us about." Light said and the rest of the task force nodded.