闇 - Darkness

Temari ran. She ran faster than she ever had before. Her hair flying out from behind her, stiff shoes hitting the pavement in a rapid but steady beat. She ran so fast that the ill fitted loafers flew off her feet completely, but she didn't care. The crisp piercing pain of debris and litter left on the sidewalks barely crossed her mind for even a second. There was only one thing that Temari was thinking about: Light Yagami.

The outline of a tall dark human sitting atop of a building made a sharp contrast against the pinks and oranges of the sunset sky. Temari stopped for a minute to catch her breath and marvel at the strange sight. Who would be up there? Something large and feathery protruded from the figure's back. It was then that Temari realized that this was no human.

"Ryuk!" She yelled at the top of her lungs, "Don't write Light's name in yet!"

The shinigami noticed the girl below him. Landing with a thud and slight jingle, Ryuk stood next to Temari and peered at her with his large eyes that gleamed in the low light, "Why shouldn't I? Don't tell me that you're going to plead for his life. Humans like that are just pathetic."

Temari shook her head, "No. I understand that he has to die. In fact, I think that it would be better if he did. I just want to say goodbye. I want to be there when he passes onto the next world."

"You know, I've always liked you. You're less...confusing than most of the humans I've met." Ryuk answered after a moment of silence, "You have until nightfall." He pointed to the darkening horizon, "Once the first star appears in the sky Light Yagami is dead."

The girl nodded gratefully, "Thank you. Goodbye, Ryuk."

"Goodbye Temari. And thanks for all the apples."

Temari started on the run again. The boulevard she found herself on was solely filled with warehouses. The closest one had a dark streak of blood on the handle. It was then that she knew that she found what she was looking for.

He was crumpled in a heap on the stairs. Blood flowed from the open wound on his shoulder and right hand, staining the suit he was wearing and the concrete floor.

This is Kira, Temari reminded herself, Mankind's greatest villain. The person who has murdered thousands without even an inch of regret or guilt. This is Kira.

"Temari!" Light lifted his head in a feeble attempt to communicate, "Get me out! H-Help me!"

Temari shook her head and kneeled down next to him. Blood seeped into the hem of her skirt, "No, Light. You will die and you will die here."

"No!" Light's eyes went wide as he thrashed around, "I can't lose! I am justice and justice will prevail to the end! Temari, you have to help me. I'll give you anything you want. I know Near's real name! Get a Death Note and kill him! We can rule the new world together."

"I already made a deal with Ryuk. As soon as the first star appears in the sky, Ryuk will write your name in his Death Note. You know a shinigami never goes back on his word."

The bloodied man stopped resisting. He knew in his heart that Temari was right. The game was over. He lost. All that remained of his hopes and dreams for a new better world lay in crimson puddles around him. Light let his hand fall to the ground. Tears pricked at the corners of his eyes for the first time in a very long time.

"I'm going to die." He whispered, "I'm going to die."

"Yes you are, Light. It's inescapable."

Light tried to sit up, "No, I can't! I'm Kira! A God! Gods can't be beaten! Gods can't die!"

"You're not a god." Temari gently pushed the struggling boy back down, "You're a man, Light. An exceptionally smart man that had a future as bright as his name. You're a man. Not a god. A man."