撮影 - Taken

Light sat at his desk and took out two items. The first was his favorite fountain pen. Its smooth surface felt just right between Light's fingers. He loved writing names with this pen. It was the pen fit for a god, of course he would use to it carry out his godly duties.

He opened the notebook to a new blank page and hovered his writing utensil above its surface. Light really didn't like the idea of doing this. Dr. Takimura didn't even investigate Kira, in fact he was actually the one to make the police pull their support from the task force. He was an innocent person. But killing him was crucial to the case. Without a hostage the kidnappers won't have any bargaining chip. Ending this one life will save so many others.

Light wrote the name in neat letters, both in English and in kanji. He didn't want to spell anything wrong. After forty seconds Light finally closed the notebook. He would have to wait to see what the kidnappers would do next.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Mello grinned cockily and bit off a piece of chocolate. Everything was going according to plan. He'd kidnapped the head police officer, got him to spill everything he knew, and soon enough he would have the notebook too.

I'll get you, Near. I'll be the one who wins.....

Ever since the day that he left Wammy's House, Mello had been looking for a way to get back at Near. Mello had wanted to be the successor to L, he'd wanted it more than anything in the whole world. But L had not chosen a successor at the time of his death. Their choice was to work together or not work at all.

Of course, Mello took the more rebellious option

At the fiery age of fourteen Mello stormed out of that manor. He joined the American mafia almost three years later. These guys respected him. They took whatever order came to them. Mello loved this power. And soon he'd have Near dancing in the palm of his hand too.

"Boss!" One of the men who was standing guard rushed into the dimly lit parlor, "Takimura is dead! He somehow hung himself with his tie!"

"You idiot! What are we supposed to do with a dead hostage!" Ross fumed, his abnormally large muscles looking more ready to strike by the second.

"No, this will work." Mello interrupted, "We're going to kidnap Soichiro Yagami's daughter, Sayu Yagami. Takimura said that Yagami was the highest in ranking of all the cops on the task force. This'll work. This'll work just fine."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We still haven't found any leads on the deputy director or the kidnappers." Aizawa said and typed more information in his computer, "Things are getting pretty weird. They should have contacted us by now with further demands."

"The director of the FBI has offered to help us rescue Takimura." Chief Yagami added, "One of their agents, Larry Conners, paid me a visit yesterday. His credentials check out perfectly. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to trust them."

Light nodded and kept staring at the computer screen in front of him. Takimura should be dead by now. Why haven't the kidnappers called and told them?

Almost as if it was on cue, Chief Yagami's cell phone rang. Aizawa got to work by immediately tracing the call. Everyone else in the task force put their headphones on to listen in.

"Look, about trading the director for the notebook, the deal has been cancelled. Takimura is dead." A sharp voice announced from the other end of the telephone.

"You bastards!" Chief Yagami shouted, "What did you do?"

"It's only cancelled regarding the director," The voice continued, "The new deal is this: The notebook for Sayu Yagami and the girl named Temari."