再構築する - Rebuild

"Temari. Matsuda. It's time to wake up."

The exhausted girl could feel someone touching her back and shoulders. She rolled over, hoping that she could maybe sleep for a little bit longer.

"Oh, hey Chief." She heard Matsuda say, "We just sort of fell asleep here. Sorry."

Temari opened her eyes and sat up. She blinked a few times to help her eyes adjust to the lighting. Matsuda was sitting up and rubbing his eyes, however, Saya still remained fast asleep on the floor. Chief Yagami and Aizawa were standing above them.

"It's okay, Matsuda." Chief Yagami answered, "Did the night go okay? Are the kids safe?"

Matsuda nodded, "Yeah. They're alright."

"That's good. Light has already talked to several people to discuss the legalities of Temari and Sayako, as well as our rights to this building. He's waiting downstairs."

Aizawa handed Temari a glass of water, "Drink up, kid."

"Thank you." She whispered and took the beverage eagerly.

"You know, you're really brave." Aizawa commented and ruffled the girl's hair, "You'll get through this."

Temari nodded and kept drinking the water to disguise the tears forming in her eyes. She didn't know why she felt like crying. Maybe it was the absence of Ryuzaki's name, maybe it was the kindness and caring of the other task force members, but whatever it was, it was strong. The overpowering emotions were too much for her fragile mindset to handle.

"It'll be okay." Matsuda held her hand firmly, "We'll be okay."

Tears slowly dripped down the girl's face. She buried her head in the older man's chest and let them fall. Matsuda held her tight as tears of his own slowly tumbled down to the tile floor.

"It's okay." He whispered again, "We'll be okay. I promise you, we'll be okay."

"You guys can come down when you're ready. We can take Saya to her room." Aizawa said and motioned for the chief to pick up the little girl. She didn't know why, but this simple gesture reminded her of Ryuzaki. He would always treat her kindly and with such gentle care. Ryuzaki cared for both of them so much.

Temari screamed his name. She screamed it again and again. She screamed until her lungs gave out and could cry no more. If she thought the previous night was bad, this was much worse. So much worse.

"I'm s-sorry." Matsuda apologized and wiped the remaining tears off his cheeks, "I'm supposed to stay strong for the both of us. I'm a man. Men don't cry like this."

"Don't apologize." Temari replied and looked up at the slowly crumbling man before her, "Crying doesn't make you any less of a man. Uncle Matsu, you're the strongest man I know."

Matsuda buried his head in his hands, "How do you do it, Temari? How you always know what to say. Teach me. Teach me, Temari. Teach me to be strong like you."

"Well, here's a secret for you. Even the strongest people are falling apart on the inside."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

About an hour later, Matsuda and Temari made their way down to the main investigation room. Two blankets, glasses of water, and an empty couch were left for the two members. They quietly took their places as Light pulled up several web pages on the large screen.

"So the Wammy Foundation, the legal owners of this building, returned my email." Light said, wasting no time getting the discussion started, "They said that unless one of us would like to purchase the building, they will continue to fund the utilities as long as it is used for Kira Task Force purposes. As long as the case continues we will be able to use this place as our headquarters. However, they specifically requested that no one be permanently residing here during that time."

"Oh." Temari said softly, "We'll have to move."

"I'd be glad to take them." Matsuda volunteered.

Light shook his head, "Matsuda, you're still on a meager cop's salary. You don't have enough to support yourself and two growing children."

"What about just one of them? What about Saya? Can I take care of Saya?"

"Saya needs to experience as normal of a life as possible." Light said, "Sooner or later, she's going to start realizing that her family is different. She's going to want to know why she's been moved around so often, why she doesn't have a normal father and mother like the other kids. Matsuda if she stays with you that time is going to come sooner rather than later."

Matsuda hung his head down, "I guess you're right. So, who is taking Saya?"

"I am." Aizawa spoke up, "I have a daughter, Yumi, that's about a year younger than her and my wife is more than happy to take her in."

"I can still visit her, right?"

Aizawa nodded, "Of course."

"What about me?" Temari asked, "Where am I going?"

"You're staying with my dad." Light told her, "I'm moving out and renting an apartment with Misa. You'll be staying in my old room."

Chief Yagami placed a hand on her the girl's shoulder, "You'll be safe at our house, Temari. I have a wife and daughter that will be more than happy to accept you into the family."

"Thank you, Mr. Yagami. That's very generous of you."

Temari pulled the blanket closer around her body. She couldn't help but feel unsure about the move. Mr. Yagami was a kind but practical man, but she wasn't sure how the rest of his family was, especially his daughter. Temari knew she wasn't the best at connecting with people her own age. She hoped that she wouldn't come across as rude.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Light could slowly feel the anger piling up inside of him as he looked over at the young girl on the couch. He had written "Temari Penber, suicide" in the notebook just as he should have. She should be dead. She should be dead.

The only reason why it shouldn't have worked is if Temari Penber wasn't her real name. This morning Light had checked all of the files in Watari's office pertaining to the kids and every single one of them had Penber as both of the girl's last names. Watari did a very thorough job of covering up the truth, he was Ryuzaki's assistant of course, and Light expected nothing less.

So what could it be? What is Temari's last name? He couldn't just go up and ask her, Ryuzaki probably already warned her not to tell anyone her identity. It was obvious that Saya wasn't aware that her last name had been changed. Light knew that he wouldn't get any more information out of her.

He knew that Temari was a strong kid. She would recover from this and get back to work as quickly as she could. The only time he could kill her without looking suspicious was during her weakest days, today and tomorrow. He had already missed his chance yesterday. Maybe he could call a few of their pediatricians or the insurance company to see if they could let anything loose.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

a bit of a filler, but important too

QOTD: favorite anime of 2016 (besides yoi i know that you all or going to say that)

if i had to pick one, i'd say ERASED.  it's more adult themed than a lot of animes in it's genre and it really kept me on edge the whole time i loved it.  miss kobayashi's dragon maid was really good too.  really cute adventures with really cute girls what more could you want tbh