デッキホール - Deck The Halls (Bonus Chapter)

"Stockings?"

"Check."

"Candy canes?"

"Check."

"Silver bells and red ribbon?"

"Check and check."

"Overactive child that has eaten way too much candy?" Temari piped her comfortable spot on the couch.

"Hey!" Saya protested and stuck another lollipop in her mouth, "I haven't eaten too much, you meanie! Santa is going to put you on the naughty list!"

"Yes Temari, you are stifling the childish wonder of the Christmas season." Ryuzaki agreed and flipped to the next page on his list, "Now where were we, Sayako? Oh yes, I remember. Christmas tree?"

Temari rolled her eyes and bit off the end of her candy cane, "Sure, Ryuzaki. But if she pukes later I'm not cleaning it up."

"We don't have a Christmas tree!" Saya wailed, "How is Santa supposed to come here without seeing a nice tree?"

"You are completely correct. We do need a tree." Ryuzaki placed his fingers to his chin, "Watari! Are the cookies done?"

Watari came into the leaving room, carrying a plate of gingerbread men, "Yes Ryuzaki, the cookies are finished."

"Great. Now is there any place we can get a Christmas tree? Santa won't come if we don't have a tree."

"Yes," Watari answered, "There is an indoor greenhouse 12 miles from here that sells Christmas trees. Would you like me to get one for you?"

Saya shook her head, "I wanna come too. Can we all come with you?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Temari groaned and laid her head down on the metal handlebar of the shopping cart. All they were going to get was a tree. Just a tree. A single green pine tree. Not any of the red and green glitter covered crap that now filled the cart. And of course Temari was the one that was stuck pushing it.

Saya had convinced Watari to let them go to a department store to get some ornaments so here they were waiting in a line that seemed like it went on forever. It was December 23rd after all, two days before the holiday. All of the procrastinators and desperate shoppers had come crawling out of their corners and seemed to gather here tonight.

"You know Ryuzaki, you're a little too old to ride in here." Temari said to the slender man who was sitting in the basket of the cart, merchandise and products piled up all around him. A felt reindeer antler headband made its home on his messy black hair.

"But people make fun of the way I walk." Ryuzaki replied and unwrapped an elf shaped chocolate, "I don't like it when they make fun of me."

Temari grabbed the candy before he could eat it, "Ryuzaki! We haven't even paid for it yet! You can't eat food that you haven't paid for." She lowered her voice, "I do appreciate you really going along with this Santa stuff for Saya's sake. She hasn't had a good Christmas in a long time."

"What do you mean by Santa stuff?" Ryuzaki asked, "Santa is coming tomorrow. We've had a late start and still have a lot to do."

Temari laughed, "You can drop the act with me. I know the truth."

"The truth? What truth?"

The smile slowly disappeared from Temari's face, "You really don't know the truth about Santa?"

Ryuzaki shook his head

"Uh, the truth is that you have to leave treats for the reindeer too!" Temari quickly made up, "You'll get even more presents if you do that."