スノーボール - Snowballing (Bonus Chapter)

Temari yawned and pulled the thick blanket closer around her legs. A mug of lukewarm hot chocolate sat in the built in cupholders of the couch. The girl put down her manga and closed her eyes. She probably shouldn't stayed out in the park until three in the morning with Ryuzaki. Or let him convince her into trying his tea even though she knew it would make her stomach recoil. But whatever the reason, Temari felt incredibly nauseous when she woke up at seven.

"You are not allowed to come downstairs today." Ryuzaki had said and patted her on the head, "You've been working hard. Take a day off."

The girl snorted as she remembered their conversation from the morning. Ryuzaki had been nothing but serious. He even had Watari monitor her to make sure that she didn't try to sneak down to the investigation room. But Temari didn't mind his watchful eye. In fact, she was kind of fond of it. Ryuzaki was overprotective because he cared for her. Temari liked knowing that.

Besides, this was the first real alone time she's had to herself in a while. With everyone else working on the investigation and Saya at school, she had the whole living space to herself. She read in peace, eat whatever she wanted without a mooching child (with the occasional 26 year old), and even choose what TV show to watch. Finally, she could watch a mystery movie without having the ending ruined!

"Temari. Sayako has just entered the lobby." Ryuzaki's voice came through the loudspeaker, "Please prepare her afternoon snack and entertain her until Matsuda finishes his work."

There was some scuffling of the microphone, "Don't worry, Saya!" Matsuda shouted desperately, "I've only got a little bit more to go. I'll be there soon!"

"Matsuda, you have almost two hundred more criminals to record." Ryuzaki replied dryly, "Anyway, we should be done at around seven thirty. Contact Watari if you need anything."

And with that, Ryuzaki cut off the connection and left the clueless girl to figure things out for herself. Temari groaned as she lifted herself out of the couch cushions and took a final swig of her tepid drink. She took emptied the mug out in the sink and wondered what little kids liked for snacks.

"Temari!" Saya yelled excitedly from the elevator and rushed into the kitchen, "Where's Grandpa Watari and Uncle Matsu?"

"They're working on a case. I was told to feed and play with you." Temari said, "So, what do you want for a snack?"

Saya cast her backpack aside and plunked herself down at the kitchen table, "I want some chocolate. Ryu showed me his special stash."

"That's kind of unhealthy. What about curry buns?"

The little girl stuck out her lip, "With dried seaweed on the side?"

"Yes." Temari agreed, "With seaweed."

"Yay!" Saya cheered, "I love you I love you I love you!"

Temari smiled and got the snack materials out of the cupboards, "I love you too."

"Saya!"

Matsuda swept the little girl into his arms, "I miss you! But don't worry, Uncle Matsu is here now. He'll play with you and make you a special snack."

"You're supposed to be downstairs." Temari pulled on the older man's sleeve, "Now get back down there before they catch you. I can take care of Saya."

"I like Uncle Matsu better." Saya climbed onto Matsuda's back, prompting a piggy-back ride, "He builds rice cracker towers with me."

Temari sighed. So now she knew why the area around the kitchen table always felt gritty. It didn't surprise her that Matsuda and Saya would often fail to clean up the crumbs of their creations.