損失 - Loss

Temari couldn't remember much after the building exploded. She remembered running through the fiery wreckage and finding dead body after dead body until she finally passed out herself. Her body had a thing for fainting at times like this.

Luckily, everyone was transported to nearest hospital and would make it out okay. Except for Chief Yagami. His condition was critical. Temari saw it unlikely that he was going to live.

The entire task force was gathered in his room to say their goodbyes. Temari squeezed Matsuda's hand and held it tightly. He was there for her when Ryuzaki died, now it was time to repay the favor.

"Dad you can't die on me like this!" Light begged, "Talk to me! Say something!"

"Temari..." Chief Yagami said weakly and reached his hand out.

The girl shook her head, "Mr. Yagami, you need to rest."

"T-Temari, w-what did Mello want with you? W-Were you hurt?"

"I'm fine, Chief." Temari answered, "Mello wanted me help him find where the SPK was. I gathered a lot of information about Near and Mello. Don't worry, we'll be okay."

Chief Yagami closed his eyes for a minute, "That's good." He turned to his son, "Light.....I still have the eyes. The shinigami eyes. Ryuk told me that I can't see the lifespan of another person that owns a Death Note. But Light, I can see the numbers above your head. You aren't Kira."

Although he looked concerned on the outside, Light was trying to figure out a way to get his father to write Mello's name in the notebook. He had to make sure that Mello was dead.

"I'm sorry." The weak man apologized, "But in the end I just couldn't bring myself to kill him."

I can't just come out and say that it's not too late, Light thought, Wait maybe I can. It all depends on how I do it. No one will think it's weird if I get upset and panic

Light pulled the notebook out of his jacket, "Dad write his name!" His voice laced with pain and desperation, "You can't let him beat you like this!"

Chief Yagami closed his eyes for the last time. The steady beeping of the heart monitor stopped and dropped to flat line. Matsuda leaned against the wall trying to muffle his own sobs. Temari couldn't help but notice the salty liquid leaving wet trails down her own cheeks. Drop by drop tears of the men littered the cold hospital floor.

Temari had gotten so much stronger in the past three years. She wasn't an overly emotional little girl anymore, but there was still one thing she couldn't handle. And that was watching people die. How many people would have to die before they solved this case?

----------------------------------------------

im just going to counteract this sad chapter with a cute gif

QOTD: out of all the anime you've watched, who's death made you cry the hardest?

i'd probably hakku & zabuza (specifically when they got reanimated by kabuto) all from naruto

i also got really sad about asuma.  i had to stop watching for like 2 weeks just so could get over myself