--Chapter Seventeen--

Kaira's POV

Guilt follows me as I run through the corridors, hindering me and dragging me down. I wish I hadn't left Jackson to fend for himself, but I panicked. I didn't see any other way.

Now, we are both going to be in big trouble. I am completely lost and have no idea where the exit is. If there even is one.

I turn left down another hallway, but freeze when I see it is a dead end. There is only a small door at the end.

I spin around to run the other way when I see him.

Zane.

But how did he catch up to me so quickly?

He is blocking my way and knows that I am cornered. I am breathing heavily when a last desperate idea forms in my mind.

With a surge of energy, I race back down the hall towards the small door. I hope desperately that it will be unlocked as I hear Zane chase after me.

With a hard wrench on the handle, I pull the door open and hurry in. Just as quickly, I push the door closed again and hold the handle.

Not a moment later, Zane pulls on the handle from the other side. I barely manage to keep it closed and I hear him yell in frustration.

"You know this isn't going to end well!" Zane shouts at the door. It sounds slightly muffled through the metal and I am suddenly glad I can't see his face.

When I don't answer or release my hold on the handle, he yells, "If you open the door now, your punishment will be less severe."

Threatening now? Really, so tacky.

And there's my cockiness. I knew it would come out sooner or later.

I tighten my grip on the door handle if at all possible as Zane pulls on it again. My hands are starting to sweat and I know I won't be able to hold it for long.

Sorry for the late update!

Kaira: Ithildae