--Chapter Sixty-Eight--

Zane's POV:

I glance away awkwardly as Kaira kisses Max. It's frankly uncomfortable to watch.

After what seems like an eternity, but really is only a few seconds, she pulls away, and whispers some words to him that I don't hear.

I cross my arms, watching her start cleaning the wounds again. Eventually she finishes, and sets the rag down on the white tile floor.

Kaira glances up at me, and I can see she is slightly confused.

"Back to the cell." I try to keep my tone as neutral as possible, but it comes out slightly apologetic.

She glances at Max, and I can tell she doesn't want to leave him.

"He'll be fine." Thankfully, my tone comes out exactly how I wanted it. Neutral.

Leaning down, she kisses him tenderly, looking into his eyes.

My eyes flick away again, but I catch the words, "It'll be alright." coming from Kaira.

"Kaira, get away! Escape!" Drake yells, giving me death glares. Really, for obvious reasons.

She says nothing, and walks slowly back to her cell, glancing back at Max.

Once she is inside, I close the door behind her, locking it.

Next, I pick Max up, not really trying to be extremely gentle, and place him on his stomach in his cell. I close the door and lock it, and then quickly turn and leave the room. I don't want to hear what anyone in there has to say right now.

Striding through the halls, I return to my lab, plunking myself in a chair.

Since the door is closed, I let out a groan, rubbing a hand over my face.

"Why does everything have to be so complicated?" I run a hand through my hair, which has grown longer than I usually have it due to a lack of a haircut.

I breathe out, trying to calm myself--mainly my feelings.

"Just get them out. And they can be on their way out of my life."

Zane's POV: Evara