--Chapter Eighty-Eight--

Zane's POV

"Mom, no." Kaira tries to stand up, looking between her mom and I pleadingly.

Her mom gently pushes her down again, "Honey, he needs to leave."

"Kaira," I interject, before she can say anything, "You'll be happy here. With your family."

"No," she pleads, "I need you here with me."

"I don't deserve you," I say quietly, "I was the one who took you away in the first place. I was the one who got your father killed." I swallow past the lump in my throat, "And nothing can change that."

"But you changed!" She insists, "You came back for me and my father when you could've left us there. And that's what counts."

My heart yearns to stay with her, but I know her mother would never allow it. "I still wouldn't be welcome."

"Mom," Kaira looks pleadingly at her mother, "Please let him stay," she begs, "I love him."

Hearing her say that shocks me. She loves me, despite what I've done to her?

Her mother looks just as shocked, "Kaira, he was horrible to you,"

Kaira shakes her head, frustrated, "Let him stay, please."

I can see the struggle going on in her mother's head, and understand it fully. I've put her in an extremely difficult position by not leaving right away.

She sighs, rubbing her forehead, "You are set in this?" She asks Kaira seriously.

"I am."

Her mother looks between the two of us, "It looks like I have no choice in the matter," she says slowly.