--Chapter Seventy-Nine--

Kaira's POV

Zane came back for me. He... he came back for me. Just that thought makes me gasp for air. I'm not going to die here. He's going to save me.

I am not alone anymore.

As they fight, I have no choice but to watch. Every part of my body hurts terribly and I desperately want it to end. I want to be safe again.

Then my thoughts go to my hair. I know it is selfish of me, but I hate that they took the one thing that reminded me of my mother away. Now it's all jagged and short, not remotely beautiful as it was.

But I can't think about that. Not when Zane is in trouble. That is so selfish of me.

Zane is standing, facing the other man and waiting for him to move. The other man has a knife, but I trust that Zane has a plan. At least, I hope he does.

The man makes the first move, lunging at Zane with his knife. But Zane is quicker and easily dodges. The man trips and Zane uses the few seconds to his advantage, swinging his foot around and kicking the man in the back.

The man tumbles to the floor where Zane wrestles with him for the knife. The man swings the knife around and to my horror it makes contact. Zane grunts and his head swings back, a large gash across his right eye all the way down to his cheek.

But it doesn't seem to faze him as he disarms the other man and knocks him out. He slowly stands and wipes the blood from his face, even though the same amount quickly replaces it.

Dropping the knife, Zane rushes over to me, quickly untying the gag and throwing it to the corner of the room. He gently caresses my cheek with his calloused thumb, and even though it hurts with the cuts, I don't want him to stop.

"I'm so sorry, Kaira," he says quietly.

I nod slowly, unable to speak due to the fact that I am sobbing loudly.

He purses his lips together and reaches up to release my hands when a sound comes from through open door.

Lowering his hands, he heads over to the door, but I can't let him go. I can't bear to have him leave me again.

"Don't leave me, please," I cry shamelessly, I need him