--Chapter Forty-Four--

Zane's POV:

Pain. That is my world.

I grit my teeth and resist the urge to scream as a fresh wave of pain rolls over me. I am strapped down on a bed, much like the one I had restrained Kaira on. The straps are tight so that I don't have room to move at all.

Vaguely I hear words. An order. And then I hear a lever being pulled.

Pain starts up like a wildfire, and I barely hear the words spoken to me, "Think about Kaira. Her beautiful brown hair."

My mind is confused. Why would they want me to think about her? It doesn't make sense, but I give in. An image of her face pops into my mind easily, and I find myself relaxing.

I hear another lever. Pain shoots into my brain, blocking everything else out. I feel like something is being drained from me, and I suddenly know what they are doing.

"No!" I yell, and then suddenly the pain is gone. My head is cleared, but I feel like I am missing something. Something important, but I don't know what.

"Zane," After a few seconds, a voice starts talking, "Why would you help Kaira?"

Some small part of me knows something is wrong. But I can't figure out what, and respond truthfully, "I don't know."

"Do you remember anything?" The scientist keeps talking.

As if on cue, the memories come back. I kissed her. On purpose. But why? My brain says I loved her, but I don't understand. When I think of her, I don't feel anything that I'd expect love to feel like.

"I kissed her," I say slowly, still trying to understand, "But I don't know why I would."

"Did you love her?" The scientist persists.

"I think I did."

"And do you now?"

I shake my head, "No."

I feel hands unstrap the restraints holding me, "Welcome back to work, Zane."

O.O Zane! *le gasp*

Zane's POV: Evara