--Chapter Eighty-Nine--

Kaira's POV

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I am so overjoyed that she agreed to let Zane stay. Honestly, I don't know what I would've done if he had left.

But I certainly wouldn't have been happy.

"Thank you," I whisper, taking my mom's hand in my own and squeezing it tightly.

She sighs and nods once. "Now rest. Please," she says firmly, leaving no room for argument.

I lay back against the couch and relax. Soon, a warm blanket is wrapped over me and tucked in. It feels so good that I instantly relax, closing my eyes.

"Since you're staying, why don't you make yourself useful and go heat up a bowl of water. Oh, and bring a washcloth while you're at it too," Mom says to Zane, "Second door on the left."

I don't hear Zane answer, but I know he left to do as she asked. And as soon as he is gone, my mother bends down and speaks quietly into my ear.

"Honey, I hope you know what you are doing."

"I know how I feel now, Mom. Please trust me." I open my eyes and look into her kind blue ones.

"Very well. But I still don't trust him," she says, raising an eyebrow, "However, for you I will try to be nicer."

"Thank you."

She nods and goes to stand up, but I want to say one more thing.

"I missed you." I say it sincerely and I hope she knows. But I'm sure she does. My mom has always been good at reading people so I'm sure she will come to see Zane the way I do with time.

Mom leans down and kisses me on my forehead before smiling gently and walking away.

Moments later, Zane comes out of the hallway and heads toward me. I smile at him, hoping the smile reaches my eyes because it's genuine. I may be exhausted mentally and physically, but I still want to show him how I feel. And I want him to know that I am serious.