--Chapter Forty--

You definitely need it...

"I'm not sure. I'd have to check." I say, still holding the apple out, "First you should finish eating, though."

She nods, and takes the apple with her free hand, eagerly eating it. She must be starving, I muse to myself. After finishing the apple, I hand her the plastic cup with milk. Kaira downs that as well, asking afterwards, "Now can I take a shower or something?"

"I'll go check. You probably can, though." I turn, taking the tray and cup with me, and leave.

Next, I pick up a walkie-talkie, speaking into it, "Sir? This is Zane."

After a moment, the voice of my boss, Ben, comes through, "What, Zane?"

I pause, trying to think of a way to phrase the question I have. Thinking of it, I continue, "Is the prisoner allowed to take a shower?" I refer to Kaira as the prisoner, hoping to cover the fact that I am asking something for her personal interest.

There was a long pause, then, "I suppose so, but you will have to guard outside carefully."

"Yes, sir."

I turn the walkie-talkie off and after grabbing a pair of handcuffs, return to Kaira, "You're allowed to." I state simply, "But I warn you against trying to escape. It will fail."

She seems to accept it, although I bet she will take any chance she gets to escape.

I unchain her hands, replacing them with handcuffs, and then unchain her feet. Quickly, I walk her to the showers, and unchain her.

"Hurry." I say, and then she walks in, leaving me waiting outside.

After a few minutes, she comes back out, dressed in a fresh shirt and shorts that had been waiting inside. She smiles a quick smile, "Thanks."

I nod, and then unfortunately have to handcuff her again. Placing her in front of me, I start to walk her forward, noting that the odor she had previously was gone. Thankfully.

We made it to chapter forty! Yay! :D And we aren't even halfway through posting this story. ;)

Zane's POV: Evara